1998 Ford Explorer XLT no outside ambient temp sensor or gauge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer XLT no outside ambient temp sensor or gauge

CynthiaK

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4L OHV
Hi,

I do not have an outside ambient air temp sensor or gauge in my 4L Ford Explorer.
Has anyone added one?
If so, where did you buy it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2.5L Ford what? Your profile shows a '98, 4L.

If you mean for your '98 4L, I'd think the easiest and most clean looking route would be pull the overhead console from a junkyard, wire it up using the connections shown on wiring diagrams (probably a relevant one is linked in my sig below), then you need to add the sensor itself and I forget where that is located (behind the grill?) but could also be pulled off a donor vehicle at a junkyard.

I think the sensor is behind the grill, forward of the radiator support and on the driver's side. Good luck in your endeavors

2.5L Ford what? Your profile shows a '98, 4L.

If you mean for your '98 4L, I'd think the easiest and most clean looking route would be pull the overhead console from a junkyard, wire it up using the connections shown on wiring diagrams (probably a relevant one is linked in my sig below), then you need to add the sensor itself and I forget where that is located (behind the grill?) but could also be pulled off a donor vehicle at a junkyard.
Sorry for 2.5, I meant 4L.
Having a problem with my Subaru 2.5L as well, LOL!
Thank-you for the suggestion of going to the junk yard. That seems like a lot of work just to have a temp reading.
I was hoping that there may be a Plug and Play type of thing that I could just mount in the cab and run the line out throught the firewall into the engine bay.

There are stand alone units that are wireless and have a few functions.
Yosoo 1 Pcs 12V Car Digital Thermometer Voltmeter Clock Alarm Monitor, Multifunctional Auto Meter Clock Voltage Freezing Temperature Gauge, Clock LCD Monitor Battery Meter Detector LED Display (Blue) Amazon product ASIN B01BTTICMI
There’s models for pretty cheap, and some that get a little spendy.

There's a lot of aftermarket to choose from, though I'd prefer wired so you don't have to replace the battery in the remote sensor, I mean you could rig up a power source to it from the vehicle electrical system but then it's wired again. ;)

Depends what you want it to look like, where you want to mount it. Something with wires too short, you could simply solder on an extension of longer wires.

The most basic type I've seen, snaps into a hole you cut out of a flat, thin panel area, though I'd want to do it to a panel that's easily removable when it comes time to change the coin cell battery, or of course you could rig up a power supply for it:

There's some similar that use more power (still only a tiny amount) that light up and run off 12VDC, might be more desirable if you hook it up so it turns off with the electrical system rather than always powered (the prior linked one draws so little power that it could run 24/7 with the vehicle off and not drain the battery enough to matter):

I'm sure there are a lot fancier, larger panel mount styles as well as standalone that you could attach somewhere with velcro.

Hi,

I do not have an outside ambient air temp sensor or gauge in my 4L Ford Explorer.
Has anyone added one?
If so, where did you buy it?
I live in Perth WA and have the same model. Any spare parts these days are classed as Rare Spares and Repco can source them for you. Otherwise it's Ebay.

Back