1998 xlt v6 4x4 turns but no starting.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 xlt v6 4x4 turns but no starting..

astrochimp

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
about 100k miles 98 xlt v6 4x4 sohc..
it's below freezing out but it's been starting and running fine.
Stays out in the driveway.

all of a sudden today it just turns but doesn't start..the security light isn't flashing or anything so I don't think it's the key plus it actually sputters a bit then turns some more then sputters like it's gunna try then keeps turning.

ANY IDEAS?
I tried starter fluid and had no affect at all.

any tests i can try?

:help::help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Won't start!!!

This might sound dumb but did you try putting Fuel conditioner in the gas tank to remove any water that might have accumulated from the cold??Gas Line Antifreeze removes water and condensation that you can get when you fuel up, or if there has been mild then cold temperatures that cause a temperature inversion.

Good point!

This might sound dumb but did you try putting Fuel conditioner in the gas tank to remove any water that might have accumulated from the cold??Gas Line Antifreeze removes water and condensation that you can get when you fuel up, or if there has been mild then cold temperatures that cause a temperature inversion.

Living if the South that's something I overlooked. I've added the possibility to my Engine No Start Procedure. Thanks for the tip!

Back