1999 4.0 Engine noise (dreaded timing chain) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 4.0 Engine noise (dreaded timing chain)

ddobos

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 99 Explorer 4.0 sohc 124,000 miles and the engine runs great but I get the popular timing chain noise at start up for about 2-5 mins then goes away completely. Is this something that will always do that or will it get worse? Has anyone else had same noise and situation? I really like the vehicle and would perhaps change front timing chain guides an tensioners but not sure if that will fix the problem. I am not really wanting to pull engine to fix the rear an front cassettes. Anyway I would appreciate all input I can get.....thanks guys!

My explorer used to make that noise but it seems to have quieted down since I started using 10w 30 , I have no idea why.
A friend of mine is a ford mechanic and said in all his years working at a dealership he's only seen one where the chain actually broke and caused problems.
Now mine only does it right when I start it then it goes away.
It all depends on if you mind the noise and if you want to spend that much on something this isnt even broken yet and the chances of it breaking arent that high.
Hope that helped.

Back