Dreaded timing chain tensioner failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dreaded timing chain tensioner failure

rhartmaier

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hi All,

Last Fall my 2002 Explorer with the 4.0 V-6 engine began making a rattling noise, mostly on acceleration from a moderate speed such as 30 to 40 mph. Guessed it was detonation, but also saw the write ups on the forum about a loose timing chain giving the same symptom. Took it to my shop, and after more than $500 of testing this and checking that, they said they solved the problem, but suggested using premium fuel to see if that made any difference. Noise did seem to get less, but did not go away completly. Parked it for 7 weeks while getting out of the NJ winter for warmer climates, and upon return the beginning of March, the noise was very loud again. Began to drive it over to a shop to have them take a look, and halfway there the engine quit and I could hear the timing chain falling into the bottom of the cover. Quote was almost $6000 for a reman Jasper engine, which I did not feel was worth it for a 15 year old truck. Less than 150,000 miles on the clock, oil changed religiously every 5,000 miles, Z-max treatment every 10,000 miles. Well, to pull the engine and replace all the chains and tensioners might not have been cost effective either, at least that is what I keep telling myself. Anyway, I am very disappointed, as I feel an engine that is given just the bare minimum of care should last many more miles than that given today's technology. And that is not all. All four hubs had been replaced, one twice! The tranny let go at around 130,000 miles; cost $4,000 to replace. Rear end began to whine and was replaced once under warranty. Soon after warranty expired, the new one began to whine also. Handbrake cable and rear brake discs replaced twice due to corrosion. One front strut suffered a broken spring. Towed two other times, once when fuel pump failed and once when a short in the wiring bundle in the driver's door caused the battery to go dead. Another broken wire in the same bundle caused the power windows to stop working, but I was able to repair that myself. I could go on and on, but long story short, I am sick of Fords. I am now driving a Kia Sorento with 2.0 turbo. Quieter than the Ford, much better gas mileage, handles like my Toyota Supra and rides like a dream.

Well, I guess my point is that any of you who have the 4.0 engine should be prepared to spend a lot of money and/or time to pull the engine and replace those timing chain tensioners.

Or get rid of the truck before they begin to rattle!

Jersey Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,

Last Fall my 2002 Explorer with the 4.0 V-6 engine began making a rattling noise, mostly on acceleration from a moderate speed such as 30 to 40 mph. Guessed it was detonation, but also saw the write ups on the forum about a loose timing chain giving the same symptom. Took it to my shop, and after more than $500 of testing this and checking that, they said they solved the problem, but suggested using premium fuel to see if that made any difference. Noise did seem to get less, but did not go away completly. Parked it for 7 weeks while getting out of the NJ winter for warmer climates, and upon return the beginning of March, the noise was very loud again. Began to drive it over to a shop to have them take a look, and halfway there the engine quit and I could hear the timing chain falling into the bottom of the cover. Quote was almost $6000 for a reman Jasper engine, which I did not feel was worth it for a 15 year old truck. Less than 150,000 miles on the clock, oil changed religiously every 5,000 miles, Z-max treatment every 10,000 miles. Well, to pull the engine and replace all the chains and tensioners might not have been cost effective either, at least that is what I keep telling myself. Anyway, I am very disappointed, as I feel an engine that is given just the bare minimum of care should last many more miles than that given today's technology. And that is not all. All four hubs had been replaced, one twice! The tranny let go at around 130,000 miles; cost $4,000 to replace. Rear end began to whine and was replaced once under warranty. Soon after warranty expired, the new one began to whine also. Handbrake cable and rear brake discs replaced twice due to corrosion. One front strut suffered a broken spring. Towed two other times, once when fuel pump failed and once when a short in the wiring bundle in the driver's door caused the battery to go dead. Another broken wire in the same bundle caused the power windows to stop working, but I was able to repair that myself. I could go on and on, but long story short, I am sick of Fords. I am now driving a Kia Sorento with 2.0 turbo. Quieter than the Ford, much better gas mileage, handles like my Toyota Supra and rides like a dream.

Well, I guess my point is that any of you who have the 4.0 engine should be prepared to spend a lot of money and/or time to pull the engine and replace those timing chain tensioners.

Or get rid of the truck before they begin to rattle!

Jersey Bob

I have an '04, same eng., 153K, engine quiet as a mouse still, but lately it's even quieter: computer has disabled the damned thing. Still trying to find trouble source. Thanks for your story, though. imp

You got hosed by the repair shop. I'd be going back to them to complain. The acceleration rattle that is compression related applies to the older 4.0 OHV engine. I've not heard of it on the SOHC 4.0.

Engine rattling with the 4.6 and 4.0 is a sure sign of chain issues. With the 4.0, it means not driving the car until they are fixed.

This engine is one ford should be ashamed of. If you want to see what all you can look forward to with the "improved" version have a look at my signature. The acceleration rattle is the chain at around 2500rpm during acceleration and it is a telltale of a not to distant future detonation. Last for I ever own!

Just replaced mine. About $3,500 bucks total between me buying the parts and paying the shop straight labor rates to fix it. It made it 144k miles and could have kept going, but I wanted to do it before it caused damage. I ended up having to replace the driver side cylinder head while I was at it so that was a nice added expense. I figure it was cheaper than buying another car with unknown maintenance that I have to figure out, and now it should last me another 10-ish years.

Back