• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer has a gas smell

OneTon

Reaction score
City, State
Midwest
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Didn't notice when test driving, but my 1999 Explorer has a gas smell when driving, just a few drips underneath. Runs great...thinking I made a big mistake here?? Never owned an Explorer before. Please advise me where to start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just get under the truck and trace the fuel line from tank to engine. When you see a wet spot, thats it. There may be more than one.

Since this is fuel, I'd make this a priority. I'd hate for your next post to be about your Exploder.

Are you sure its gasoline and not exhaust? You could have an exhaust leak in the engine compartment.

I will trace thanks. Should there be indicator lights on to signify problem? Didn't know since it's a 99.

It's dark in color and somewhat of a thick substance...

Mine had a rusty vapor return line in the drivers side frame rail up near the rear axle. No drips but always smelled of gas.

Bill

thanks Bill good to know. owner did replace exhaust right before purchase...perhaps that's the smell. only a few drops this morning, at least not a big leak.

It's dark in color and somewhat of a thick substance...

Where is this located? It could be coming from a differential or a CV boot.

Back