1999 explorer with rusted frame | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 explorer with rusted frame

twintwo3

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
Im looking at this 1999 explorer, the dealer let me take it home it looks great. 71,000 miles, everything works. Sunroof, doors, rear wiper, cruise control, etc all work. and its in absolute great condition. BUT... you know thats comeing...

When i got home, i took a look underneath and the frame is completely rusted to crap. Its pretty bad. Price he told me was $5,800 for it but it looks like its got major problems underneath. Like maybe its one of those hurricane katrina cars like it sat in flood waters or something

When i drove it it rides fine, breaks work, and all that but its just soo rusted. What do you guys think heres some pictures: would you buy it?

262leg0.jpg

2h8a8ll.jpg

dr86kw.jpg

359zlvs.jpg

241q928.jpg

2agkit4.jpg

30d9d74.jpg

2lxds8o.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it just surface rust, or can you poke holes through it with a screwdriver?
Surface rust is a pain, but not life threatening, while being able to poke holes or if there are already holes rusted through is a bad thing.
IMHO that is.
Russ

Sure not what you would expect to see south of the Mason-Dixon line!

The worst part is that something as simple as changing shocks or brake pads becomes a major PITA with all that corrosion. Up here in the rust belt, there's a lot of trucks that look like that underneath. Sometimes worse! That truck probably has a lot of life left in it, but $5800? No way!

Its pretty bad like that one picture of the rear shock i could probally twist that upper rusted part off.

Everything from the chassis up is in great condition its like WTF... great car but all that crap underneath im like WHY?!?!?!?

yea!

she was a floater some where.

I would pass on it!

it would cost you a couple grand just to slow down the inevitable. so you will already be behind the eight ball.

maybe for less then a grand but they will never go for it because they got taken by some one trading it in

Maybe its one of those super wanted Chicago Cars being sold in Cali! Oh wait, thats the other way around.

just think, if the frame looks like that. imagine what the body looks like under the carpet

yea!

she was a floater some where.

I would pass on it!

it would cost you a couple grand just to slow down the inevitable. so you will already be behind the eight ball.

maybe for less then a grand but they will never go for it because they got taken by some one trading it in

Exactly.

I would buy it, but not for $5800...

$1500 tops.

That's an average truck from up here, down there, no. Chances are it was from the north and moved there. I wouldn't buy it, being that you can get nice rust-free trucks down there that haven't been exposed like that, and certainly wouldn't pay $5,300 for it.

You know, I was thinking flood vehicle when I took a closer look at the pictures. If so, definitely not worth that kind of money.

At the very least, pull the carpet and see what the floors look like, but I sure wouldn't pay even half of what they want for it regardless. Maybe they didn't look at it closer, and if you point this out to them you could get it for a lot less if you still are interested.

Having been in Ohio the last several years I am getting used to seeing rust. Being from Phoenix AZ most of my life I am still amazed at what people are able to sell for decent money back here.

Russ

If you look at the wheel wells, especially the rears- and stuff is painted black- they know. I would try to find another one. Not worth the hassle or potential problems of replacing rusted brake lines, etc....

Back