1999 ford explorer rocker arms | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 ford explorer rocker arms

Bootless

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer 4x4
So since i got over 300000 miles im thinking about new rocker arms but these aint like what im used to can some one give me a step by step?btw its ohv

Bootless, the OHV rocker arms rotate around the rocker arm shaft. When you remove them, you are basically checking for cracks and wear. There are plugs on each end. Most guys will drill a hole in one cap and punch out the other side and then vice versa.

At $13-$20 for each rocker it's a lot of money for not that much performance enhancement on a stock engine with 300,000, in my opinion. Depending on compression and leakdown, I would replace the valve seats and do a valve job, using the original rocker arms. The valve seats tend to sink a few thousandths over time. I would then replace the lifters and put them back on. The bottom ends on the 4.0's are pretty stout and can last well past 300,000.

My experience with them is after 200k miles the pushrods eat the rocker you get to a point where the valves don't open all the way also you get chatter and eventually a pushrod will bend

Back