1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0LT UR Rear oil leak from brake assembly or axle shaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0LT UR Rear oil leak from brake assembly or axle shaft

nealo

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield ,QUEENSLAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt explorer 4.0l
G'day everybody from Australia, My problem started today during a 900km drive, when I stopped to fill up the tank I could smell oil really strong coming from the rear passengers side wheel (that's on the left side in Aussie) so I looked underneath and I saw oil leaking slowly from the rear brake assembly, but when I smelt it, it was diff oil not brake fluid. So my question is, what's causing this to happen, could it be a seal or a blocked vent, I just don't know. Its never done anything like that in its 90,000 miles. I've changed the diff oil with the recommended oil and I also noticed it started to make a bump bump sound like it has a warped brake disk or something coming from the rear I think. The leak is like a drip every 20 or 30 seconds. I have extra diff oil if I have to fill it up again, cause I live 5hrs away from any work shop so if I need to drive there I can, I hope.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe the seal, and bearing too.

Ok, seal or bearings, I'll change both just to be Shure, my ex is an import for the Australian market, its a UR model but has UQ also and on the sticker, it says its a 2000 model but on the compliance plate it says September 1999. anyway, where can I get the right parts for it in America, I don't mind buying from overseas because its very dear here and the parts are hard to find. Any help would be appreciated

t says its a 2000 model but on the compliance plate it says September 1999.

FYI, in the states the next model year starts production in the fall of the previous year. Maybe fall is wrong to use since you are in the southern hemisphere, so August or September is when the next year model starts to run in the factories. So a 2014 car could have been built from August of 2013 through May or so of 2014. The factories retool at some point usually around July. This is my knowledge from a GM plant my uncle worked at. Months given are just rounded off estimates to give you a general idea.

Orion13

Thanks for the info, so when I want parts for my ex and they say " what year is it " I can say its a 2000 model because, I've always said it was a 1999 model the and is there any difference between two.

Thanks for the info, so when I want parts for my ex and they say " what year is it " I can say its a 2000 model because, I've always said it was a 1999 model the and is there any difference between two.

always go for the built date, to make sure just ring your local City Ford and give the VIN number to them and ask for exact model so it will be easy for you to order from overseas...

Need an AXLE SHAFT.

Thanks for the responses for my posts. I've replaced the seal and bearing but the guy said it was my axle shaft, said its been moving around and must be worn somewhere along the shaft caus its still leaking oil. What im after is a place where I can get another axle shaft. So far I've tried a few auto parts places in America and they cant find one for me.The OE part number for my ex is OE# 3L2Z-4234-AB its the rear left axle, I need my truck to get to work evry day, im filling the diff up once a week, I just cant go on doing this. I absolutely love my ex and want to do it up and make it even better. Even an upgraded heavy duty diff would do but I don't know what will fit into my explorer or what vehicle I can swap or upgrade parts with. Any help would be so very beneficial to me.

Can you get a Redi-Sleeve for it, or maybe a repair seal?Edit: reading back to your post, I see you wiish to make it better. So maybe skip the reapirs above and replace the shaft. It is a very common part here, but I just don't know what your procurement resources are down there. 1aauto, dorman, summitracing,, etc. Very common part.

You can get your Axle shaft online from Rockauto.com They're $110 with $120 postage to Australia.

Back