1999 Instrument Cluster swap to 2001? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Instrument Cluster swap to 2001?

RickMar

Reaction score
City, State
N. Andover Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello,
I have a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer. The 1999 Explorer instrument cluster is identical. I know the parts from explorers are interchangeable with mountaineers depending on the year.
I saw a 2001 explorer in a junk yard. The white display was nice looking.
It looked exactly the same as my instrument cluster placement...odometer,mileage,fuel,temp,tach,speedometer etc.
I was told that the instrument cluster is not interchangeable.
Could anyone tell me if it is or not?
If I need to do any mods that would be no problem...I have had my instrument cluster out 3 or 4 times and it is pretty easy to do.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Rick

yes they are interchangeable. I have a newer sports white guages in my '99. You can just swap the odometer, so that part is correct;)

You MAY have to swap some pins around...

You MAY have to switch the volt gauge...maybe another one too...I can't remember.

But I have those gauges in my 1995 and my 1999. One of the best mods I did. But neither was plug and play. They took some work to get everything to work the way it's supposed to and to have the correct indicator lights operate. Still, it was nothing difficult. Just took some time to figure out is all.

Back