Instrument cluster swap - 2002 Sport Trac into 1999 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument cluster swap - 2002 Sport Trac into 1999 Mountaineer

Klaus Cook

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Thanks for admitting me to the forum.

I recently purchased a 2002 White faced 2002 Sport Trac instrument cluster. Is this cluster plug compatible with my 1999 Mountaineer or do I have to remove the three gauge modules and replace the ones in my cluster base?

Thank you,
Klaus Cook
Houston, Texas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for admitting me to the forum.

I recently purchased a 2002 White faced 2002 Sport Trac instrument cluster. Is this cluster plug compatible with my 1999 Mountaineer or do I have to remove the three gauge modules and replace the ones in my cluster base?

Thank you,
Klaus Cook
Houston, Texas

Well, I answered my own question. I went ahead and bought the instrument cluster and used the instructions I found here on the forum to remove my old, black cluster. I removed all of the lamps in the new one and replaced them with LED bulbs. I then plugged the new cluster in and tested all of the functions. Everything worked. The only thing that was a PIA for this 77 year old was crawling under the dash and hooking up the little cable for the gear shift selector indicator. This cluster makes a big difference.
dash1.jpg
dash2.jpg

Looks good, one of my favorite mod for Explorer to give a fresh new look!

So if'n I understand this correctly, a '01-'03 Sport Trac dash/instrument cluster will plug and play in a 1999 Explorer? Is this true for later models like my 2001 EB AWD 5.0?
Does a 2WD Sport Trac dash have the light locations for 4WDLo an Hi, just no lights installed? Should someone decide to perform a 4406 4WD mod later on.

Will the gear position cable from my 2001 EB AWD 5.0 work on a Sport Trac dash? Many I see on eBay have been cut.

Anything else to look for when procuring a Sport Trac dash?

98-03 should all be the same
Before 98 the clusters were analog and there are some changes to wire locations and light bulb locations from 95-97.5, but from 98-03 they should all be identical whether its a Ranger, Sport trac, Sport, Explorer or Mountaineer does not matter
Yes the non 4wd instrument clusters have the 4hi and 4 low lights, just with no bulb
Whenever we convert a truck to 4wd we always hook up the dash lights, the wires are found at the Gem module behind stereo
Yes the gear position indicator and cable are the same from 95-03 all trans V6 and V8 use the same PRND21 pattern and shift detents

98-03 should all be the same
Before 98 the clusters were analog and there are some changes to wire locations and light bulb locations from 95-97.5, but from 98-03 they should all be identical whether its a Ranger, Sport trac, Sport, Explorer or Mountaineer does not matter
Yes the non 4wd instrument clusters have the 4hi and 4 low lights, just with no bulb
Whenever we convert a truck to 4wd we always hook up the dash lights, the wires are found at the Gem module behind stereo
Yes the gear position indicator and cable are the same from 95-03 all trans V6 and V8 use the same PRND21 pattern and shift detents
When you say through 2003, does that mean only w/o message center or will these work as well with the understanding that some wiring will be required?

2003 Explorer Dash Cluster.jpg

Back