Instrument cluster swap question. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument cluster swap question.

I found a good cluster from a 2001 Sport that had been rolled when I was at the wreckers the other day. I have installed it and it looks great. No changes were needed on the pin outs from my 2000 model to the 2001. All gauges and lights worked by just hooking it up. Gear selector with white face came with it as well, all for $30.

After I installed it I went for a test ride and that's when I noticed the speedo was in MPH and not KPH. Doooh! I never thought to look, but the Sport must have been a US model someone imported. It took me 20 years to get used to metric speed and distance, and now I am back to miles. I am going to keep it, but I am going to look for a KPH gauge set as well, so I may have a US guage set for sale soon.

One thing I did not count on is the mandatory e-test needed every two years records the kilometers on the vehicle at the time of the test. Mine now shows 119K instead of the 224K of my old set. Not sure if this is going to raise some flags somewhere, but I am going to guess it will...

Back