1999 Ranger 3.0 FF Adding a Tachometer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ranger 3.0 FF Adding a Tachometer

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
My very base model Ranger didn't come with a tachometer either. You would think that as cheap as it would be to put power windows, cruise control and tachometer that all of these trucks would have it.
I want to add a tachometer. If I come up with a speedometer/tach assembly is it as simple as 'plug and play'? Is the wire/wiring already there in the connector?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that I found some info...

So I found out there is a tach wire in the instrument wiring connector. If I wanted to just add a stand alone tach, then the 3rd wire that I think is green would tap in to the tach wire. Does anyone know what color the tach wire is?

I believe you could add in a factory one? Aren’t the clusters modular, and the individual gauges can be removed?

I might could swap out within the cluster however I did see a video where someone swapped the whole cluster assembly. CTTOI, (Come To Think Of It) My 1997 Merc Mountaineer cluster might swap out with it. I know that is a couple of years older but it is the same overall dash design. My old MM is for parts now.
Edited at 12:20 p.m. One is pre pats and one is pats. I wouldn't think that the instruments would have to be from a pats equipped vehicle.

Back