1999 XLT explorer center console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 XLT explorer center console

2361Savage

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer XLT
Hi this 2361Savage. Does anyone heaven exploded view of center console removal are screws location?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, Jon...did that console in the How To thread have the rear Heat-A/C controls at the back of the console? If so, I assume that whole assembly with ducting does not need to be separated from the console during removal?

Hey, Jon...did that console in the How To thread have the rear Heat-A/C controls at the back of the console? If so, I assume that whole assembly with ducting does not need to be separated from the console during removal?

It all comes out as one complete assembly. Rear ducting is incorporated into the console as is the harness. If you have the message center, it will need to be disconnected but removes the same as the cubby hole compartment.

5 bolts, one connector and some rearward nudging of your choice should do it.

Thanks for confirming that. I have the luxury of a U Pull yard about 15 mins from the house and I think I'll first try it on one of those vehicles before trying it on mine once our wintry weather decides to take a break.

Thanks for confirming that. I have the luxury of a U Pull yard about 15 mins from the house and I think I'll first try it on one of those vehicles before trying it on mine once our wintry weather decides to take a break.
if you can wedge a screwdriver in each side to force these 2 tabs downward, it helps to "unlock" the console from the floor, and the result is less rearward force needed ( hammer and block) to dislodge the console. Time has it stuck real good in it's spot.

006-7.jpg

So, that slot in each bracket slides over a floor bracket? Suppose in order to access those clips, the seats need to be removed? This is why on another thread regarding O2 sensor replacement that I stated the considerable amount of work required to remove the console would make it sensible to just replace all the O2 sensors since the electrical connections could then be easily accessed.

no, seat forward is all. The tabs slide into slots, the upward angle of tabs locks them into the slots by friction. It isn't all that difficult once you've done it a few times. For someone fit it should not be more than 5-10 minutes.
But I do agree it is the best way to get to the top of the transmission, and the harness which live there.

I'd run the engine for a while with the heater on high, or put an electric heater in it to warm the interior. Old plastic gets brittle but less so when warm than cold.

Back