1st gen clutch change tricks/tips? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen clutch change tricks/tips?

will leak out where the transfer case is if you hafta disconnect it and wll leak out the spedo gear hole if you tip it at all (which you will have to do)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha I work with a guy that has been a mechanic for over 30 years. He can tell you anything about any car down to what bolt size is where. And the guy he trained 20 years ago who is just as good. I am the rookie :)

Well I decided on the clutch I will use, and have opted for a stock replacement kit.
My research into centerforce has led me to believe that they have a good design idea when it comes to gripping power, but this does not warrant paying twice as much. They don`t last any longer than stock, and may even wear faster, so it is stock for me.

I went to my local muffler guy to try and get my y-pipe off today. He tried in vain to break the bolts free at the manifolds, but could not bust them loose and did not want to break them off.
He said I got "Forded" and welcomed me to the club. His domestic auto maker conspiracy theory actually makes sense. By allowing the bolts to travel through the mount it allows it to become one with the metal, causing anyone who attempts to take it off to break bolts off, then you need to drill the old ones out or replace the manifolds entirely. I`m beginning to believe him, put rivets here, leave bolts open to the weather there, and you have shops making all kinds of cash off you, and they make all kinds of money off parts and labor.
I`m re-evauating any future decisions on buying a domestic automobile, ever. BUT, I`m keeping my explorer forever, mind you!

Anyway, The theory now is that I might just have enough room to get the tranny off and clear the y-pipe. We got the cats out of the way, and I do have extra clearance above due to my body lift, I think it should be possible.
Doing it tomorrow morning!

should be totaly possible. Last few times i changed out my auto i left the full exhaust in place. There are ways to get the y pipe off though. perhaps try a better muffler shop. I assure you it can be done

I don`t know man, he tried a little heat and all sorts of stuff, he`s good with muffler systems, best I`ve seen. Those bolts are just two red and scaley blobs, the nuts would just bust off, we didn`t want to chance it.

i can see what you mean. if you get the nuts glowing they are so easy to take off you could do it by hand if it wouldnt burn you terribly. Ah well try it with the pipe in place

Originally posted by danlong
Before you get a Centerforce, I would go over to RPS and ask around on the 4.0 board about them, a couple of people there have tried them firsthand.

-Dan

What is RPS? Thanks

DONE!

Just got the cats out of the way and pulled it with the transfer case attached.

It shifts great now, I used to have trouble getting it in gear sometimes, and it didn`t like going into reverse unless I visited second gear first.

On thing is the pedal is extremely easy to push! Totally different than before. Is this just from replacing the slave cylinder/throwout?

I kind of think I should bleed it some more, I donno...

I do know I`m getting too bloody old to be doing clutch changes, next time it`s the shop, I`m scratched up, me arse and hips are sore from layin on the floor, not next time!

Back