• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen steering gearbox

ebgb

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport MODIFIED!
I know this had been covered over and over but I gotta ask again!
Is there ANY upgrade available to the stock 1st gen ('91)steering?
I know that there is SOME tightening room in the box but must be careful
as I understand that it can overtightened!
I read something about rack and pinion on '95 and up.:cool:
Is this an option for a 1st Gen?

AGR builds one for about $350.00 as well as a Power steering pump that gives 1500 PSI to run it. The power steering pump is an additional $250.00 or so. Then a filter ($15.00) and two new power steering hoses, one high pressure side and one return completes the exchange (a good pair will run $40.00 or so for both). Now your looking at $655.00 plus shipping. I elected to put in the Cardone high-end steering box and pressure pump sold by RockAuto with a life time guarantee. My hydraulic gauge says it is pressurizing to 950-1000 PSI and my 1992 EX Eddie Bauer seems to like it. My total cost is $ $350.00 including shipping before a $120.00 refund for the Cores (Steering Pump and Steering gear box). Net expense was $230.00 vice the $655.00 AGR stuff. Since I don't intend any serious offroading, the standard rebuild will do. At 76 I've given up the interesting life (read that as outright dangerous) since I died last year <grin>. I was legally dead for thirty four minutes with no pulse, heartbeat, or breathing. That was enough excitement for a life time. I thought 22 years in the USMC was interesting with Lebanon, Three tours in Viet Nam, and the other cold war junk but it was just a preamble. Now I relax by beating and restoring my poor defenseless BEBE (Brown Eddie Bauer Explorer). Good luck with the fix.

BWTGUY,
hey...thanks for the 411 on the steering stuff. I saw the cardone stuff as I surfed today. I'll take a closer look!
I'm makin' the "sport" a street truck so I can mess with the kids and the "Ricers"...they just don't know when too slow down. You get to be an old guy and you "just know" when the man is around. That comes with age!
I know what you mean about the excitement in life...Fortunately I have had a continuous pulse for my 65 years:thumbsup:!
BTW, thanks for your service.:salute: I was Air force... I know, I know, and marines laughed at us(AF) at Danang(only one tour). But I could get whisky:cool: when they(under E5) couldn't so they didn't give us too much grief. I did my time and got out...went back to school!

Well yesterday I finished my rebuild of the Power steering system. I put the rebuilt Cardone Pump and gearbox in, two new hoses (best ones I could find and damn the cost so I paid about $37.00 for them.), and a in-line filter also bought from RockAuto. I torqued everything to the specs that came with the power steering gear as well as those given by Ford. Bled the system as per instructions found at TBars post on steering, and took her for a drive. No noises, ZERO leaks, and one happy driver!

While under the car muscling a 37 Lb. power steering gear box out-of and a new one in-to the Ex, flat on my back, holding a drippy gear box while my face was clearly the target of all the PS fluid dripping out, pumping a floor jack with my right foot, pushing, pulling, and cursing the $$%%@@# thing into place, was an experience I do not want to have again.

I did notice that the oil pressure idiot switch was easily reachable from under the Ex so a quick trip to O'Reilly AP allowed for the purchase of a new pressure sender for a Ford Mustang that was an easy fit. Note to self, I'll have to pull the instrument panel to remove the 20 ohm resister to have the gauge read close to accurate ie: in the normal zone.

Finished job, bled system, took maiden trip. Drove about 10 miles on local Foothill Blvd. at 35 MPH. No problems, no leaks, one happy camper. Entered 210 freeway to go home a little faster. As I accelerated and reached 65 MPH, for the first time I remembered my note to self and casual looked at the oil gauge...casually had a second heart attack!!!! It read on the low-end red square!!! Quick check of heat gauge showed normal operating temperature so I must have oil pressure. No clattering from engine or thuds as connecting rods exit the block. QUICK exit of the Freeway and a discreet drive home.

Shutdown engine, check oil (reads full), check for leaks, none! Oh yeah! dash oil gauge still has the 20 ohm resister in it! Duhhh! I'll take it out Saturday and see if that helps.

The moral of this story is do not try to do too many things at once. Good luck with your fix and yes I was at Da Nang in 1966-67 with the Marine airdales across from the Airforce area. After the big rocket attack in 1966, we went to your side of the field and tried to help. Did so for awhile and then drove six bright blue air force jeeps back to our side, gave them a new (Very Quick) coat of Marine Corps Green, and tac markings that said they were ours. The airforce wrote them off as "lost to enemy action". First time I was ever identified as an enemy by my own side <GRIN>.

Back