1st SAS Explorer Project | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st SAS Explorer Project

THANKS! Does anyone have any tips on converting the front of the T-case from CV to U-joint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take your shaft to a driveshaft place and have them cut off the CV and put in a U joint. I think the shop near me would charge around $80. I have never had one built that way though. You might be able to just have them shorten a rear and put it in. Although you would prob have to change the output to the larger flange on the tcase. I think I read somewhere that the flanges are interchangeable. It would be nice to have the larger ujoints. What are you going for? Strength?

Thanks for the info on the d-shaft. I found a local shop that can do it. Now how about the t-case? Do most of you run the CV in the front when using the OG t-case or swap it out with maybe an f150 part?

Well its been a while since my last post. I was able to mock up the spring buckets and modify them the way I wanted. It does'nt look like much, but its a step in the right direction. Check them out.

buckets002.jpg

buckets003.jpg

buckets005.jpg

any more updates here?

Well I was able to break away from "Honey Do List" and put some hours on the Ex. I got it standing on its own :thumbsup:, Springs, buckets, and bases are in. Now I got to make a trac bar, mount the steering box and so on. Lets see how long that takes. At least I have not given up.

all4s.jpg

Yea, the jack stands are still there, but I have nowhere else to store them :D

Any progress is good progress!
Looks great man...

You are correct! Any suggestion on the steering system ? I have a S box from a F100 and one from a 4runner? I'm not sure what route to take. Thanks

Here are some updated pics. I got some more work done to the monster this weekend and it came out of the cave on its own power. Still need to get the steering and a few things done to be complete. Enjoy the pics for now.

after1.jpg

after2.jpg

after3.jpg

after5.jpg

after6.jpg

after7.jpg

BAWGERZ

that's a pretty wide stance. should be just fine for what you said you'll use it for.

i know i am new here, but it seems like there is going to be a lot of leverage put on the radius arm where you extended it. it looks like there would be a decent chance that would bend or break if it is not reinforced. looks like a good project though!

Back