1st time off roading today with my stock explorer. Few Qs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st time off roading today with my stock explorer. Few Qs

I'm just outside Wooster, about an hour south of Cleveland. Jeep Skool and Wellsville are the only places I know of around here to go legally. I've never been to either, but I want to go pretty badly...not sure if I want to try Wellsville just yet. Looks like it may be a little intense for my rig the way it sits now, at least til I get a winch. The JS site says they have a "no truck left behind" policy, campsites, and shooting range. Sounds like a little piece of heaven to me...

haha im always in the Lodi/burbank area. i live further toward cleveland though. Lorain county to be exact.

yeah that JS sounds cool as hell. im gonna check out the site. maybe one day we can head down that way. the only off-roading i have done was in fields(w/permission) and once down this trail by my step dads house in Lodi. it was nothing i would really call "off-roading" but there were some hills and mud pits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Corkey...

Ill read your link and see what you did....I am on the fence about the lift right now. I found some F150 springs and had planned to go the TT and F150 route. I am just worried that I will want more later. Always happens that way. I am just finding it hard to swallow the $1600 to get the 3.5" lift kit. Based on todays run, i think an extra 2 inches and better tires will help alot. I forgot to add that I am running Destination A/T with about 30% tread. So, if they go trough the trail on stock truck, a 2" lift and some tread should be really good.

at first i just did a torsion twist and add a leaf, and added 31x10.5x15,s and wheeled the crap out of it , it was fun, and safe too,
it was just a fortunate turn of events that i ended up with all the stuff on my truck i got,
lift kits for these things cost a bit, so maybe just go slow, and build it for what you use it for,

Do you run on the dunes in MI? I found a cool Jeep rental club that runs by the dunes, but i think he went out of business. I wonder if those were public trails. The pics looked really cool and would be fun weekend trip.

I know of some dunes somewhere... I'm just sayin if you want to get some explorer's together it's not that big a of a trek for those of us in the detroit area

honestly I havent done much offroading... just some snowmobile trials in the UP the one summer I had to take a 3 credit class

Going slow is the plan. I think the TT will work for what I need. Im not gonna rock crawl with the truck, but it would be nice to be able to clear some holes with out the clun of the rear end hitting.

Do you have the 4" super lift on the back? I wanted to go with that, but I read the back will be higher than the front if I just do a TT in front. Did you have that issue?

Back