My First REAL Time Off Road | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First REAL Time Off Road

diablo5969

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Versailles, KY (Home) Poughkeepsie, NY (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Honda Pilot LX
On Friday night, a friend and I took the Ex up to a trail I know of about 30 minutes north fo Atlanta. I'd been there a few times before, but I always just went alone, and because I was alone in a stock Explorer I didn't really want to push it too far. So anyway, my friend and I pull up to the trail and there's a lifted F-150 sitting at the trail head. We think that the driver is going to give us crap about being on private property (we were allowed to be there, actually he wasn't), so we just drove past him. He started following us on the trails, so we just kept going. Eventually we reached a dead end and he pulled up beside us. We just kind of looked at him, but he goes, "Why do you guys keep running from me? Here, follow me, there's a really cool mud pit this way." I knew about the mud pit, but as I said before I had only been there alone before, so I didn't go in it. So anyway, we follow him, he says he can tow me out if I need it, so I blast through this huge mud pit right behind him. As we're turning around he asks if I have it in 4x4, and I say yeah, and he says try it in 2x4. So I switch it and blast through the mud again. It was so much fun. Then another F-150 showed up, but it was only two wheel drive. Anyway, he managed to get stuck in the mud pit when he was trying to cross it. That made me feel good about the Explorer, that it could cross a mud pit that an F-150 couldn't. So after the other F-150 tows him out, it turns out I gotta go to make it to a friend's birthday party, so I pull off the trail past the other two trucks, and as I'm pulling by the guy goes, "Man, your Explorer looks nice!"

Anyway, that's my story. It was so much fun. I have got to go back up there sometime. And I was impressed with the fact that a stock Explorer could get across that mud pit. I only have good things to say about it. Hopefully I'll have pics up by tonight if anyone wants to see them.

By the way, if anyone in the Atlanta area wants to go up there for a couple hours some day, just let me know, that'd be pretty cool

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congratulations on you wheeling trip. I do have to say that you just got bit, and now you will never stop. It starts out just like that , and then you're hooked forever. Start saving your money, because you're gonna want more stuff for your truck to be able to go more places. You also have to start saving money so you can come out here and play in the rocks. Muds good, but rocks rule! :D

diablo... where is the place you are talking about? i'm up for heading that way sometime.

Diablo,

Great story man. It makes sense the F-150 got stuck. It's quite a bit heavier than your truck. The lighter the better in the mud (for stock vehicles anyway). That's why Jeeps do so well, and yotas too.

And Ray is right, rocks do rule!

Has to do with the GWNF trip. Long but funny story.

I knew I'd get a good response from you guys. Hehe, I'm no longer an off road virgin :D

Ray: Yeah, you are right. I need to order a bigger MAF sometime this week.

Jasonb: The place is up 400, off exit 12. It's in Midway, if you know where that is. We could go sometime in a couple weeks if you wanted to.

Is this place all mud, or is it mostly trails? Mud is fun, but damn what a mess to clean up. I prefer mostly trails with a few muddy spots for some slippery fun. Any hillclimbs, rutted areas, etc? If it's good wheelin', I may have to make it up there sometime. I'm just south of Atlanta, so it wouldn't be too far of a drive for me...

Hehe, congrats on "the first real wheelin" trip.

The whole thing is all trails except for this one mud hole. I've seen pics of the trails that everybody does, and these aren't trails like that really. They're more of like just bumpy dirt roads through the woods. There are a couple hills here and there, but I don't think it's like the best place in the world or anything.

Still could make for a decent afternoon one day this summer, I'll probably make a trip up there sometime ;)

im 2.5 hrs north of atlanta on I85... in greenville sc... i'd come down there maybe for the daysometime this summer. we could make it a run! haha whose land is it?

I don't know if it'd be worth a two and half hour drive, I don't think it's that high quality. But if you want to come and see everybody or something, it sounds good

Back