• Register Today It's free!

2 annoying problems

Joes4x4Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Check out my sig for the mods on my rig. The first problem I'm having is a nasty vibration at any where from 55-75 mph. Every time I have the tires rebalanced it just changes the speed where I get the shake. The ENTIRE truck shakes like a tire about to blow apart.

The vibration has survived 2 sets of 31X10.5's. One set was BF Goodrich TA's and now a set of Big-O Mesa AP's. I have had 3 tire shops take a crack at balancing the tires, between both sets of tires, I **** you not I've had 15 balances. All that happens after a re-balance is the shake happens at a different speed.

The tire shops have checked the front end out and NOTHING is wrong, everything is tight and the alignment is dead on. Any ideas??? This shaking is driving me FUKIN nuts.

The second problem is an ULTRA ANNOYING "chirpy" type rattle coming from the driver side window area. The "chirp" is the worst when the window is down. This is the second 91 I've owned and both had the exact same "chirping". The shaking from the tires gets that window chirping and makes me want to drive this explorer into a lake and get a JEEP. :scratch::hammer: :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or your Spindle.

Ryan

Or your drive shaft out of balance, or a bad bushing, bent axle, or loose bolts on the suspension somewhere, or bad bearings-- there is also a post around here about the engine transfercase and tranny in the gen 1 needss to have all of the mounts loosened and "realigned". Sorry there are a thousand reasons for the "shakes" I have new tires- transfer case, transmission, driveshafts, and springs-- mine still shake-- right in he zone where I want to drive. It sux.

I have alloy rims, all 3 of the tire shops checked the rims. I even went out and had the tire guys check the balance of the bare rims before they mounted the last set of tires. One rim took a 1/4 oz weight on the outside, the other 3 where 0000. I have a new rear driveshaft, it too was checked for balance twice.

A friend of mine has a metal fab shop, we chucked up both rear axles on a lathe and checked runout in several places. Both were within .025" of being perfectly round and straight. About the only thing I have not checked for balance are the drums and rotors. As far as I know there is no way to re-balance either.

I guess the shake must be a Ford thing if mine is not the only one with this problem. Time to test drive a couple Cherokees to see if they can be paint mixers as well.

What about that "chirpy" rattle on my door? Anyone have a fix for that? The shaking I can live with. I guess I just avoid the speed it happens at. The window thing is WAY WAY WAY more annoying and I can't find exactly where it is.

The chirpy irritating rattle is seriously annoying enough to make me get rid of this truck and never get near another Explorer. This is the second 91 Explorer I've owned and both had this exact same "chirpy" noise. I have an awesome Pioneer sound system that still can drown out that freaking window "chirp".

Back