2 year project complete-351w,ford 9",dana 44, 35s, with pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 year project complete-351w,ford 9",dana 44, 35s, with pics

well i finally got the thing driveable. i am still lacking a front driveshaft (that is why i am bearly flexing in the pic, i had to creep up in 2wheel) the tranny pan has a slight leak, i need to replace a rear wheel seal but other then that its rockin. the 351 has about 55 psi when cold and about 25-30 hot. the motor runs cool, not sure how cool because i dont have a temp gauge but i am running a large electric fan, a rigid fan off the water pump, and a 160 degree thermostat. its a four core aluminum radiator that is the the same size as an explorer radiator. i am running the tranny cooler in the radiator and an aftermarket one. there are still quite a few little things i have to pick at to get right but its basically done... well it will never be done, but you know what i mean :D :D

heres the specs..

94 explorer sport

5.8 ford v8
edelbrock carb
edelbrock intake manifold
mild cam
four core aluminum radiator
160 degree thermostat
electric fan and rigid fan
tranny cooler
remote mount oil filter
aftermarket radiator overflow kit
ford racing valve covers
c-6 tranny with wicked shift kit
new process transfer case, not sure which one

suspension
fullsize dana 44 with bronco coils
bronco shock mounts and coil buckets
cheapo shocks front and rear
no sway bars
ford 9inch rear end
heavier duty spring packs in rear
custom shackles

custom dual exhaust with chambered glasspacks
5" monster tach
sony xplod deck
mechanical temp and oil pressure guages

16x10 pro comp polished aluminum rims
315/75/16 xterrains

and thats about all i can think of as of now... if you have any questions feel free to ask

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same here with it being parents fault... he helped my brother and i build a gokart when we were like 8 and 10. the only difference is that my dad thought the whole idea was a good one and volunterred to help whenver i asked

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well heres some more pictures i took today

normal_explorer_023.gif

the ford has its torsions twisted with 305/70s

normal_explorer_014.gif

this was the problem area in the exhaust
normal_explorer_013.gif

normal_explorer_010.gif

normal_explorer_012.gif

as you can see in the last pic my rear wheel seal needs to be fixed. when i have the axle shaft out it will be a good time for me to count the splines so i can order up my 4.10s and rear spool

Are you going with a mini spool? If you look at the Drivetrain Warehouse ad in Off-road Adventures, they have a deal for $140(?) for gears for a 9" and a free mini spool(for the 9"). :thumbsup:

Since it is full-width from a 79 Bronco, I'm 99% sure that they were all 31 spline. Obviously check though before ordering your stuff.

looks killer!! only thing..why carb? why not EFI? just wondering. it looks amazing though.

why carb, well i didnt have the money time or knowledge to go with efi. someday i would like to, but as for now, it has plenty of power and i havent had any problems with the carb yet.

tonight i think im going to make it out to a local cruz night. its going to be mostly old hot rods but im going to show up, if i ever get around to washin and waxin her.

bmxking i was actually looking at that ad the other day. i am trying to debate if i want to do that deal deal of the one where you buy front and rear gears plus instal kit for like 4 somthing. i dont know, but i am sure i am going to have my mechanic do the instal

your sport is what ive always wanted! haha. 351 carbed, badass.

good job man.

thanks creager

i wish i had your 4.56s or your true trac....

351wExplorer said:
thanks creager

i wish i had your 4.56s or your true trac....

shoot ill trade hahah!

looks *****in man, I especially like the motor. was it a pretty tough install? (not like I could do it anyways with CA emissions crap :banghead:

and BMXQueen, whats up with this havin more flex thing :mattmoon:

the motor wasnt all that bad i guess.. i mean same obstocles as a 302 i guess, just a step up, because not many people have done it and you have to take in account for the wider deck.

bmxqueen, as you put it, out flexes his buddies and appearently likes to bring it up whenever possible....

how bout this. i outflex bmxqueen.. haha, just playin

creager you serious... i mean id love to trade you

NOT

Congrats, steering and all. Now you have a base for other upgrades. Good luck,
Don

351wExplorer said:
creager you serious... i mean id love to trade you

NOT

ahah you ass.

BMX flex's for his buddies huh? uh too much info? hah jk

Josh would be me. Caleb would be XplorerKid. And we both outflex bmx. :D

cdw6216r, about the steering, i ended up getting the saginaw pump working great. today i cranked the wheel and held it though and i blew the pressure line... i geuss my hose clamp wasnt strong enough :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:. i went up to a local shop and had them put a hydrolic fitting on the other end and it all worked out perfectly..

i just got back from the local cruise night and a couple of the hotrodders where impressed. the low rumble when its idling is the best sound in the world, and almost all of them smiled when i pulled in. a couple people walkin around took a look at it, its a good thing its tall enough that most of them couldnt see inside and see the huge mess of tools and such.

today i had to retard the timing a little bit because of spark knock, i played with the idle and got it all set but i cant find the sweet spot. im fearing the worst :( i believe i will have to run AT LEAST mid-grade in this motor. since i didnt build it i have no idea what the compresion is

as long as im posting a bunch of stuff is there anyone on the board with 4.10 ring and pinion sets front and rear for sale??

j602 said:
Josh would be me. Caleb would be XplorerKid. And we both outflex bmx. :D
Yeah right...MAYBE if I had on both of my sway bars, and springs from a full-size truck. :p

i will outflex both of you ;)

Nice truck 351! I'm surprised I haven't seen this earlier.

-Drew

Back