20" Black Rims. What do you think? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

20" Black Rims. What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

actually - after seeing they had those in solid chrome I might look into those- I like those more than the black actually simply cause it's not a deep black. More like a smoked black.

what exactly does the "backspacing" pertain too? I obviously don't know a whole lot about wheels and sizes etc. I just know I want 20s with fairly low profile but not too low cause I don't want potholes to damage my rims.

Mista808 said:
what exactly does the "backspacing" pertain too? I obviously don't know a whole lot about wheels and sizes etc. I just know I want 20s with fairly low profile but not too low cause I don't want potholes to damage my rims.

6.25" backspace means those wheels will be sucked in those wheel wells. the more backspacing the more the wheels are sucked in. the less the backspace the more it'll stick out. stock is 4.25" i think so it would make it 2" more narrow on each side than it is stock. 4" narrower over all. meaning u'd probably need a fairly narrow tire so u can still turn as sharp as stock without rubbing on everything. i don't know what backspace is average on 20's and stuff but that seems a little much to me.

I love black rims. Probably because they are the opposite of chrome, and lots of chrome gets on my nerves. watch the weight on your rim/tire combo. i see lots of sport truck guys talkin about how the heavy rim/tire combos REALLY slow a truck down. and the rims are 30 lbs without a tire. I'm not sure what the optimum weight is supposed to be, but i'd check it out if i were you. but those rims look good, but hiridin is right about the backspacing. your stock rims are 15x7 with 4.?? backspacing and those new rims are 20x8.5, so you will have a rim that is 1.5" wider, but it will be sucked into the wheel well 2 inches. just some things to think about before you spend all that money. see if you can find the rim with less backspacing.

so backspacing is pretty much the thickness of the tire from the rim to the lip of the rim to the top of the tire itself? Howcome when I ask people what wheel size is best I just hear people say 5x4.5 will fit and that's it lol. I need exact specs... and note - I plan on lowering my explorer about 2-3 inches so I wan't to be able to do that with the 20s still on.

5 on 4.5 is the bolt circle

Backspacing has nothing to do with the height of the tire sidewall

Backspacing is the location of the mounting surface in relation to the center of the tire.
Meaning how far the wheel moves in and out from the trucks rotor. Low riders have tires that stick way out past the fender right? That is backspacing.

YOu must be careful, if you put the wrong wheel on your truck it will suck.

410Fortune said:
5 on 4.5 is the bolt circle

Backspacing has nothing to do with the height of the tire sidewall

Backspacing is the location of the mounting surface in relation to the center of the tire.
Meaning how far the wheel moves in and out from the trucks rotor. Low riders have tires that stick way out past the fender right? That is backspacing.

YOu must be careful, if you put the wrong wheel on your truck it will suck.

I think I understand what you're saying a bit more... so the higher the # on the spacing the FURTHER out the tires would pop out I.E. "low rider style" or it the other way around and the lower the # the further they pop out?

the lower the # the further they stick out. i am thinkin that you should go between 4&5" of backspacing, so that your tires fill the wheel well and give it an aggresive stance(unlinke the weiner cheby extremes), but your a street guy thats lowering your truck, so you definitely dont want the tires to stick out of the wheel well at all. i'm sure some knowledgable street guys will chime in soon.

you want to be extremely careful here-

it makes an incredible difference just where the wheels sit relative to the fenders in how it will all look in the end.

you also have to be very careful with black wheels. imo they require more overall modifications to the vehicle to look "right" than most other colors.

expo5.0 said:
you want to be extremely careful here-

it makes an incredible difference just where the wheels sit relative to the fenders in how it will all look in the end.

you also have to be very careful with black wheels. imo they require more overall modifications to the vehicle to look "right" than most other colors.

yeah I ended up deciding I'm going to stick with solid chrome rims. The black will look good - but will get dirty really quickly especially in the winter months. So I figured I'd get the chrome. Cant go wrong with chrome so long as it's real chrome and not Wal Mart chrome :confused:

the other problem with black is the black rims that are decent actually cost more than chrome

do adjustments need to be made to the car with the speedometer once having much bigger wheels on the truck than before? will it be off?

The black could look good with the right mods as Expo5.0 said. You will not need to make any adjustmens to the car for the speedo if you maintain the same overall(outer) diameter with the wheel/tire combo.

the best answer is to run smaller tires so that you don't get speeding tickets....

i'm down 4" in the front and 2" in the rear now from the stock sizes (i believe the sensor is in the rear), which means i'm over 10% off in the right direction...

Back