• Register Today It's free!

2000 4.0L SOHC Harley X

2kHarleyExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Stillwater, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0L SOHC
Hey how's it going? Alright straight to it. All my life I've been a Chevy guy. My first ride was a 91' S10. I bought a 91' caprice after that. Finally, the caprice started sucking in money left and right (the engine was wooped). So I bought a 2000 XLT Explorer right before winter hit last year. Of course, being a teenager, I had to have some fun with it. Took it off-road a lot. Just a few small trails here and there, I'd get stuck in any kind of mud since the x is bone stock (then my dad had to tow me with, you guessed it, a chevy). Lately though, I've decided to modify it a little. So far, it's been a slow process but I have done a few things here and there. I've replaced the old exhaust system with straight-pipes from the cats back. Changed the deck out for a kenwood. Added some crap speakers I had lying around to the cargo area. Painted the trim around the headlights and grille black. And just this night I took the running boards off.

Now for the plans. I'm a Harley Davidson addict. What I'm really looking to do is make a harley themed explorer. What I have planned is to have it painted metallic or candy black with the area from the top of the windows up being painted harley orange. I'm looking to add harley emblems to the sides and rear (like the F-150's). As for tires and rims... not sure what to do. I don't have much cash and that is a problem. I like the look of lifted x's with beefy tires but with the new paint, I'm not sure I'll want to be off-roading. Performance is more of a concern then tires though. My x has the 4.0L SOHC in it and I see this as a problem. Although the v8 only has 5 more hp stock, I'm not exactly sure what I can do with my very limited budget and the v6 to make it perform better so any suggestions are welcome. I do have a few V8's laying around but they're all chevrolet engines and I doubt I can get them to work with the x or if i even want to bother. I also want to put a nice system in it but that can wait for awhile since money's tight. I also want to save the cash up for two flowmaster 80 series mufflers. Not sure what else I'd like to do with it. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Oh, and my girls dad wants my running boards for his expedition. It looks like they would line up perfectly but the mounts would have to be switched with the expedition mounts. Would this work though? Seems like it would.

Welcome to this forum! This site has a search feature which will take you to many different threads on whatever you might want to know. The photo gallery has its own separate search feature if you just want to see pictures of various things. The product review section has many item to compare, such as tires, brakes, etc.

welcome to the forum i thought u already were a member of this forum already cause ur sn on aim sounds fimilar

Welcome to Explorer Forum! I would measure up the running boards and put them in place to see if they would work. Take some pictures and other cool stuff.

Back