• Register Today It's free!

2000 4.0L SOHC

Qdup1

Reaction score
City, State
Hurricane, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
I recently purchased a 2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4.0L SOHC motor with 61,000 miles and have been reluctantly reading about the issues with timing chain rattles from bad chain tensioners. I learned about the issues after I purchased it of course. I would have rather had the V8, but this one seemed to fit the bill at the time. The motor is very quiet at startup and runs fine and everything works, except for the replacement of the alternator. Should I have anxiety about this motor and what sort of preventive maintenance, if any I should do to help the timing chain issue from not happening? Sounds like from what I have been reading that it's a running time bomb waiting to happen. Any opinions or first hand experience would be welcome. Thanks.

There has been much discussion on the longevity of the SOHC on here. Nay Sayers think they're junk. Others have gotten well over 200K miles without problems. Mine has 191K miles and I haven't done anything extraordinary to get it this far without problems. Regular oil changes is about it. I do baby it and don't stomp on the accelerator if even that would be a contributor. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw. Having grown up with vehicles that could barely make it to 100K without an overhaul, I'm satisfied to get nearly twice that so far and will have no regrets when it does finally fail. My dilemma is that the vehicle is completely rust-free and still looks excellent...so, will I want to put another engine and/or tranny in it when the time comes?

There has been much discussion on the longevity of the SOHC on here. Nay Sayers think they're junk. Others have gotten well over 200K miles without problems. Mine has 191K miles and I haven't done anything extraordinary to get it this far without problems. Regular oil changes is about it. I do baby it and don't stomp on the accelerator if even that would be a contributor. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw. Having grown up with vehicles that could barely make it to 100K without an overhaul, I'm satisfied to get nearly twice that so far and will have no regrets when it does finally fail. My dilemma is that the vehicle is completely rust-free and still looks excellent...so, will I want to put another engine and/or tranny in it when the time comes?
Thank you for your reply and input. I shouldn't be so anxious about it and I am like you, in regards to not hot rodding it. I can't afford to break things on a retirement income. Like you, I remember when getting 100,000 miles from a car or truck was saying something. We have a couple of off-road Toyota's and they have such great reputations for being bullet proof. They are great trucks but not without their issues too and they are not bullet proof. Luck of the draw is a good term for any vehicles dependability. Staying on top things by doing scheduled maintenance is important. At any rate, I like the Explorer and it is rust free and low miles. It is fully optioned and it all works. Knock on wood. Thanks again XLTrunner.

Back