• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD w/ blinking o/d light

liers99

Reaction score
City, State
chattanooga, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Just bought a 2000 AWD 5.0 and it has an intermittent flashing o/d light. At first I was thinking classic TCC failure and it still might be. I noticed that the front tires are newer than the back tires and I know on AWD's they need to be pretty close to the same size so I was wondering if that could be part of the problem. Also went the light is blinking the 1-2 shift is really hard which makes me think that the converter is locked because when the light isn't blinking it shifts really smooth. Thanks for the help guys not new to explorers but very new to AWD.

I think you are on the right track on the torque converter clutch. :thumbsup:
I don't think they are the cause, but definitely get some matching tires.

Mine would do that, and eventually it threw the CEL and was an OSS. The tires might not be an issue, but I would check those. Check your Tranny fluid as well. I would also reset the PCM and drive it around for a while. If it does it again, try to have your tranny codes pulled.

And I think if it's TCC failure, at higher speeds the rpms will be above 2500. Not 100% sure though

It's going in and out of overdrive fine. My RPM's are around 2200 at 75mph. Much higher than my 4.0 explorer which runs 75 mph at about 1900. I am gonna get the codes pulled next week. Tranny fluid looks pretty clean. I am a little scared to drive it now with the tires like they are. Not sure how long it's been driven like it is either. Looks like someone just through 2 tires on it to save some cash.

Back