2000 Exp XLT Questions

k0redump

Reaction score
City, State
orland park, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hello all,

I have a 2000 XLT and am looking to modify but cannot get a k&N kit. They do not make it for the 4.0 L. I was also looking to install a superchip. 2 questions follow:

1) What can I use instead of the K&N kit that will give me approximatley the same results?

2) Will I really notice a difference with acceleration with the above mods?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

super chip

I can tell you about the added performance from a chip. I just got my chip in the mail today. I got a diablo chip from smartyparts.com. It was only $180. I could tell immeadiately the difference. My truck has more of a get up and go about it. I can't comment yet on the better MPG it is supposed to get but so far I think it is the best dollars I have spent yet on my truck.

I forgot...

Also about the K&N filtercharger kit. I had one on my old explorer which was a 97 with a 4.0L in it. I think the engine in the 2000 is set up the same so you should be able to use the k&n kit from an older model. I am planning on using my old kit for my 2001 I just have to customize it by building a cold air box for it.

kOredump -

I think it depends on which engine you have for the 2000 model. 2000 X still had the OHV and also the SOHC engine. K&N does not offer the filter charger kit for the 4.0L SOHC but they have a drop in replacement filter for it. But KKM has a kit that I think offers similar performance. There was also a post this week about another outfit that has something like KKM but with a stainless steel intake for about $200 (complete). Do a search for "intake" and you should hit it.

With my experience with only the KKM and everything else bone stock, I didn't noticed much in terms of mileage gain (15 vs. 15.8 MPG/City) but did noticed a little bit more low end and can accelerate a little bit quicker off the line. I think a combination of KKM and a new exhaust system will provide the additional power and increase in gas mileage.

FordXplorerGrl - with the chip, do you have to use premium or can you use any grade gas?

Kvo, are you talking about this one

intake.jpg

Custom Intake

bigtigexplorer -

Yes, that's the one. That's one very nice set up. I wish I had known about this before. I may have to save up some $$$ to get the stainless steel intake. It is very very nice!!!!!

Also, do you remember where the post for the price on just the intake is?

Thanks.

Yeah it is really nice, the only thing I would be concerned about would be that the stainless steal pipe would soak up alot of heat and its supposed to be a cold air intake. Here is another thread discussing this Dead Link Removed

If I get it, I was planning on drilling a bunch of holes in front of the hood just about where the front of the intake it to get more cold air to the area, sort of a mesh look.

Heck, my '91 is so old and the paint peeled so bad that it wouldn't matter what I do to the exterior, as long as the mechanical is great.

KVO...your sig says "hook em horns" I don't suppose you went to UT???

I have heard that you should use premium gas with superchips but I didn't think you did with the diablo chip. In the material that came with the chip it did not say anywhere that it requires premium gas. I run 89 grade in my truck all the time and that is what is in their with the chip.

Koredump,

I have a 2000 XLT with the 4L SOHC engine. The only engine mod is the KKM intake. I agree with kvo in that I see about a 1 MPG boost in fuel economy and some better power (esp. under extreme conditions like going up mountains or hard acceleration). It is a good $89 spent if you want some extra power and better MPG. If you want to get slammed into your seat, I doubt this will impress you...maybe a chip would be better. Or a combo of chip/intake/exhaust, but now you are getting into more $$ and complexity.

Of course, if you want to get slammed into your seat, sell the Explorer and get a muscle car!

fouroh -

Yes sirry, went there from '84 - '89 (BSCE). Gotta say, it was the best time. I knew just enough to have lots of fun and stayed out of trouble, did just enough to get by in school, just your typical run-of-the-mill low budget college student!!!

Diablo chip

I have from heard that Diablo chip has the same engineering like the Superchip. I am not really sure though. Also the fitment is better than superchip too. Most people with late models that have gotten Superchips didn't fit too securely. Was there any problems with the installations with Diablo chip?

I am changing over to KKM too, I am going to sell my K&N drop in.

You are right about the diablo chip being made by the same engineers of the superchip. I heard the makers of diablo chip split from superchip to make a more affordable chip. The installation was extremely easy it fit like a glove. The chip is really cool too it is in the shape of a devil head and says I am two horny on it. From what I understand they do not make diablo chips for explorers made earlier than 96, because my boyfriend is looking for one for his 91 sport. If you want some more information about these chips and the horsepower gain and check out diablosport.com... I am really impressed with my chip like I said before it was the best 180 dollars I have ever spent.

Thanks XplorerGrl, I knew I was right. I would buy a chip, but my V8 has a small detonation(pinging) problem when it really get warm out. Me living in a warm climate doesn't help. So if I get this chip it would probably make it worst. I am even running premium too. I wonder why they would put " I am too horny" on a computer chip :rolleyes:

Back