2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD Question

ZWilson07

Elite Cowboy
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Does anyone know if the AWD system can be towed behind a vehicle without pulling the driveshafts?

I know with the viscous coupler in the transfer case, pulling just one shaft probably won't be recommended as well with it being the AWD, there is no way to put the transfer case in neutral.

My thinking is, if I just put the transmission in neutral and keep both driveshafts in, it should in theory be just like driving regularly but then again that usually can still cause damage. The goal is to figure out a way without having to pull both shafts but I dont think its possible with this setup.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Negative. See if you can get your hands on some inflatable dollies to solve this problem.

even if the trans is in neutral the drive shafts are spinning and so is everything inside, but the pump isnt. it may still cause you to blow the trans

I figured as much. Just wanted to double check and make sure my thinking was correct.

I guess its either pull both shafts or nothing.

Thanks guys.

Well, the owner manual is very clear about that. Platform only.

Well, the owner manual is very clear about that. Platform only.

You are correct I am sure it probably does, but I don't have the factory owner's manual.

Yes, I could go google it from my home computer and hopefully find a free copy online, on a website, a download, etc but also many times the owner's manual can leave a bit to be desired. So I just went ahead and dropped a quick thread since I was on the website from my phone anyways while I was away from home.

But thank you for the helpful statement.

I have both too, but I like the pdf's because I can search in them easier (Ctrl-F).

Bought an owners manual set on ebay for $9 including shipping. Works out well when you're broken down and the helpful folks on Explorerforum aren't waiting at your beck and call to answer that question about towing when the State trooper is on your butt to get the truck towed off the highway.

Bill

I hope you didn't pay for an pdf OWNER manual - that is free at the link provided above (it's a Ford site)!

Sometimes you can find the real books in junkyard. I left my '96 Sable book in it when I junk it.

Back