• Register Today It's free!

97 X awd question

dandsphillips

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Hill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer V8 AWD
I have a 97 X awd v8. I am in the process of making it the ultimate sleeper. I was wondering what transmission tail shaft would i need in order to remove the transfer case? And would i be able to use the same driveshaft? And one more question. Why cant i power brake my X? it has plenty of power but it just pushes itself

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need a 4r70w and drive shaft from a 2wd explorer of the same year.

What do you expect powerbraking to achieve with all wheel drive? Do you even understand the concept?

ok, thank you, yes i do understand the concept, its not an awd anymore, ive already pulled the front driveshaft, and am in the process of stripping the rest of the front end out. Will probably finish tomorrow. And now looking for a different transmission

why do people destroy trucks for no real reason? instead of just buying a two wheel drive version which they did make.

what good is a 2wd truck?

ok, thank you, yes i do understand the concept, its not an awd anymore, ive already pulled the front driveshaft
You probably just damaged the Vascous Copling inside the central differential (yes, it is a differential, not a transfer case).

And thats why it will act up - it is like you suspend one of the wheels on a FWD car and wonder why is not working right.

why do people destroy trucks for no real reason? instead of just buying a two wheel drive version which they did make.

Maybe he got a good deal on the truck...Why do people buy 2wd and want to make them 4x4? :p:

Maybe he got a good deal on the truck...Why do people buy 2wd and want to make them 4x4? :p:

that is another question that I ponder all the time when I see people buying trucks that are 2wd and want to convert them to 4wd.

it is one thing if the truck was never offered in a 2wd or 4wd. but if you can buy one, why convert one? it's cheaper to buy one.

but as always to each his own! :D

no i actually traded my 89 mustang gt street/ strip car for the X. But after replacing everything in the front end ( cv axles, bearings, brakes) and dropping the front end to inspect it only to find out that it was the transfer case the entire time. I got pissed off and just decided to swap everything over.

Back