97 5.0 awd questions

emac2001

Reaction score
City, State
parlin nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer sport
Hey guys,
I just got a great deal on a 97 5.0 awd. I'm looking for a good starting ground on things to do to the truck. I already did a tune up and replaced the hubs up front. I'm looking for ways to possibly improve the mileage a bit as I'm getting around 13 to a gallon right now and any other mods that I could do. I'm eventually doing the tt and shackles to put 31" tires under but any other ideas for modding would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

either swiss-cheesing the stock airbox or switch to a cone filter, and a cat back would be good starting points. Also make sure you have changed the fuel filter.

Ok, Swiss cheesing, I have the circular style airbox, so just all over it I would assume? Also, with exhaust, I've read a lot of people remove the secondary cats. Is there any real gains from doing that or is it just for sound?

Ok, Swiss cheesing, I have the circular style airbox, so just all over it I would assume? Also, with exhaust, I've read a lot of people remove the secondary cats. Is there any real gains from doing that or is it just for sound?

Ah, you have the older style airbox. Not 100% sure best way to swiss cheese that style.

All cats restrict flow. Removing the second cats are both performance and sound oriented.

If you remove cats, it will be louder. I have a thrush dual in dual out muffler, two tailpipes and removed the rear cats. It isn't quiet. Its not to loud, but louder than I would want a DD. A decent turbo muffler and the cats out will make it rumble.

I know it'll have a better sound, but will it help improve mileage and performance?

Hey guys,
I'm eventually doing the tt and shackles to put 31" tires under but any other ideas for modding would be much appreciated.

I'm running 31x10.5 BFGs on my '98 with no changes to the suspension. I've not come across any evidence of any rub anywhere. They're mounted on Ranger FX4 L2 Alcoa wheels, FWIW.

Awesome! I'm still going to.lift a little to make a better stance and a little more clearance. Any other ideads anyone?

Back