2000 Explorer: keyless entry system, factory code? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer: keyless entry system, factory code?

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

^ Open your module up and post a high res. pic and I can show exactly where to disconnect the antenna, unless there is shielding in the way obscuring it.

Really I mean Eighty51 can do this, since if it has an internal antenna, that's the unit that will need opened to disconnect it. If it has thin plastic latching tabs on the casing, it would be good to warm those up before trying as the plastic is now 21 y/o, potentially brittle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is wrong generation for the OP's vehicle. Will pop my module and do a picture.
Here is a pic from my '99. The '00 should be same. The first picture shows the antenna. There is supposed to be a mod that a qualified individual can do to change the code. Most people will just get themselves a new one.

1618151621496998282851394642564.jpg

16181516551886602981553807970556.jpg

Looks like they used an unconventional metal rod as the antenna, though that orange component on the upper area of the first pic, looks like potentiometer or variable cap , could probably be used to de-tune the circuit enough that it won't receive... would be good to mark its position with a marker first, so it can more easily be adjusted back to the correct tune later.

Looks like they used an unconventional metal rod as the antenna, though that orange component on the upper area of the first pic, looks like potentiometer or variable cap , could probably be used to de-tune the circuit enough that it won't receive... would be good to mark its position with a marker first, so it can more easily be adjusted back to the correct tune later.
I would just suggest that the OP either replace the module or replace all of the FOBs. Either way negates a lost FOB. Once you run the sync for the new FOBs, the old ones are useless. It is possible if unlikely that the problem stems from cheep FOBs that are mass produced with the same code. The RV industry is rampant with this issue.

If the OP was to run the sync without adding a FOB, does anyone know if this would clear the FOB code register?

I have a 2000 Explorer for which I do not have the original owner's keyless entry code or the factory code. From the owner's manual it states:

"The factory-set code is located:

on the owner's wallet in the glove compartment​
taped to the computer module"​
So there's nothing in the glove compartment that resembles an "owner's wallet" and I don't know where the "computer module" is located because there's nothing like that under the hood. Does anyone know where the computer module they're referring to is located? And once an owner sets up a new code is the factory code even valid anymore?​
TIA.​
I've been looking for the code myself, but on a 2010 Explorer Sport Trac. I'm open to any help in finding the factory code so I can reset it to my own code

You can unplug the harness to the RAP module.

You can change RAP modules, if you are worried about the factory code being used by someone else. I changed mine due to it failing. I matched the factory part number on my RAP module with one from a junkyard. Swapped, and everything works as it should.

FYI: one of the harness wires might have a yellow tag attached to it showing the part number. It matched in my case, but could be different just to warn you.
I have a 2010 Explorer Sport Trac, any possibility you tell me where I can find this RAP module?

I've been looking for the code myself, but on a 2010 Explorer Sport Trac. I'm open to any help in finding the factory code so I can reset it to my own code
Purportedly, it is on the pillar side of the smart junction box. Smart junction box is on driver's side (part of fuse panel). I cannot verify as I do not own one of these.

I have a 2010 Explorer Sport Trac, any possibility you tell me where I can find this RAP module?

Sorry, I do not know much on anything past my gen of Explorer...

It might be easier to stick a phone up in there and take a pic rather than mirrors/etc to read it.

I have a 2000 Explorer for which I do not have the original owner's keyless entry code or the factory code. From the owner's manual it states:

"The factory set code is located:

on the owner's wallet in the glove compartment​
taped to the computer module"​
So there's nothing in the glove compartment that resembles an "owner's wallet" and I don't know where the "computer module" is located because there's nothing like that under the hood. Anyone know where the computer module they're referring to is located? And once a owner sets up a new code is the factory code even valid anymore?​
TIA.​

Rear passenger side seatbelt panel, remove it and the box is down In it. Numbers will be right on top, easily seen.

I've read that if you initiate the process to sync a remote access keyfob to the RAP system but skip to the last step, no remote access keyfobs will ever work, but I'm not sure if this is true. Here's the process I was planning to try:

From page 501-14B-72 of the 98 Explorer/Mountaineer workshop manual volume II.
1 Make sure the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered.

2 Turn the ignition switch from off to run eight times within ten seconds ending in run. If the RAP module has successfully entered program mode,
it will lock then unlock all doors.

NOTE: if you skip to step 5 from here, all keyfobs should be disabled

3 Press any button on a keyless entry remote transmitter and the doors will lock then unlock to confirm that each keyless entry remote transmitter has been programed.
Repeat with additional transmitters.

4 If the door locks do not respond for any keyless entry remote transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again.

5 Turn the ignition switch to the off position or wait about 20 seconds after programing the last transmitter.
If successful in programming transmitters the RAP module will lock then unlock all doors one last time to confirm.

Back