2000 Explorer Sport fog lamp removal & replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Sport fog lamp removal & replacement

tbirdman

Reaction score
City, State
Sask- Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
Hello to all. A message here for those of you who are contemplating fog lamp replacement on your Sport or XLT. A total of 3 - 1.25" metric thread bolts with 8mm head ( or 5/16" ) & 1 - 3/4" sheet metal bolt with 7mm head to remove the lamp assembly from the sub bumper bracket and attachement point on the lower bumper cover. Using 1/4" drive ratchet, a 3" extension & a 1/4" drive nut driver with 8mm & 7 mm sockets as required.A telescoping pocket magnet is handy for retreiving bolts ( there is a "blind" hole on each bracket to remove & replace one of 3 upper mounting bolts. Unplug the lamp harness from upper interconnect near fender apron. This leaves more rooom to remove the bolts. Once all bolts are removed-pull up & back on the lamp assembly tail flange near bottom of bumper cover and the entire lamp assembly will pull out as a unit.Swap in the new assembly -guiding the lens & upper mounting flange in & rotating up to align with mounting holes in sub bumper brakcet.(Note :2 alignment pins mate with holes in sub bumper bracket to seat assembly properly). Patience is required as (1) it's a tight space at times so tightening bolts is a little slow & (2 ) the blind hole can be difficult to start the bolt ( the magnet ccomes in hand for that or use electrical tape & socket with extension). When all is finally tightend down & wiring connected back up- use a 6" 3/8 drive extension with a 1/2" socket to adjust the aiming screw ( using hand torque only ! ) at the base of the fog lamp.
Yes- this took me longer then I care to admit :) ( 2 stubborn bolts ) but the results were worth it. New lamps with Silverstar H1 bulbs - clear, bright & aimed correctly ( below the low beam headllamp height) . Here are the correct Ford replacement part numbers :
LH ( left hand drivers side) XL2Z-15200-BA
RH ( right hand passenger) XL2Z-15200-AA

Also- I bought my lamp assemblies at a local Ford dealer here in Canada. For those of you who wish to purchase online(i.e. eBay)- here is a link to the right hand lamp assembly for sale from Tasca Ford in Rhode Island. I emailed them before hand & they have both left & right assemblies available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0045964646&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hope this is helpful- sorry no pics- but if you take a look on your X- you will see this is something anyone can accomplish with some patience.

Back