• Register Today It's free!

Towing question

Stang6595

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and have a question about towing with my Explorer. Its an '01 5.0 with 3.55 gears and I have already installed a frame mount receiver hitch and i have a weight distribution hitch. I am considering buying a travel trailer and would like to know if it can handle it. The travel trailer is 25' long and weighs in right around 4600lbs. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The truck may be rated to tow that size load, I'm not sure. But, what I do know is, I sure would not tow that size load with anything less than a heavy half ton truck. Ideally, a three quarter ton would be more appropriate. Too many tow too big a load with too small a tow vehicle.
FWIW, I towed an 18 foot travel trailer with a 2003 Dodge Dakota, once, and only once.

Not only the gearing, but what you gonna do when a gust of wind hits that big ass billboard from the side? I have been blown onto the shoulder of the highway in a big rig during a thunderstorm. Something you may want to consider.

Are you sure your gears are 3.55? I thought all 5.0 Explorers & Mountaineers came with 3.73 gears only.

Yeah, they are. I looked at the axle code and on the tag on the differential. I didn't really think about it when I bought it. It was in good shape, and well maintained so I jumped on it. Lol

Back