2000 Explorer XLS lighting issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer XLS lighting issues

wiky86

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Greetings everyone, this will be my first post here, which I hate to say is a call for help.

I have looked everywhere online and in my manuals, but have found no solution as of yet.

My 2000 Ford Explorer XLS is having issues with blowing fuses. Specifically the fuses that control the fog lights and high beams. The rear defrost no longer works, and neither does the auto door locking when the truck is put into gear.

A strange thing I've noticed, is that before the fog lamp fuse blows (which is only a few seconds after a new one is installed) the headlights come on by themselves. No key in the ignition, the switch isn't on, nothing. They don't come on at full power though, just a bit of a yellow glow, but it's definitely the headlights. As to which filament, I'm unsure.

All my other lights (minus the fogs) are functional, and no idiot lights have popped on thus far.
The power windows, locks, and mirrors still function, as does the radio and front and rear wipers.

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI, autolock, rear defroster, O/D OFF and backup lights are all on the same fuse. #27 if I remember correctly. I don't know about your fog/head lights. headlight switch, multi-function switch maybe?

I noticed the backups weren't working earlier. Another note is that only the driver's side window controls work.
It may be the MFS, that or the GEM. The crappy part is I just got it from a lot three days ago.

On another note, the dealer replaced the battery and had the driver side door lock actuator "fixed" before I got it. Dunno if that would cause what's happening.
A mechanic friend thought the anti theft could have been tripped, but idk if the fuse blowing would be related.

your window issues are most likely due to broken wire(s) in the driver's door bundle. very common problem. the wires tend to fatigue and break over time due to opening the driver's door a zillion times. if it was the GEM the windows wouldn't work from any switch. i find the easiest way to find/fix these wires is to remove the driver's door, which is actually very easy to do. if you replace a fuse and it blows again you have a short somewhere. the anti-theft would not cause a fuse to blow. if the anti-theft light is blinking about every 2 seconds, that's normal. if it blinks fast, you have a problem and the truck will not start. have you replaced fuse #27 ? i've already told you what is on fuse #27's circuit. it has nothing to do with headlights, foglights, windows or anti-theft.

I'll look into that, thank you. Just need to finish putting the lift on my Subaru to free up some space.

fog lamp fuse?

Which fuse is blowing? Fuse 8 in the Central Junction Box provides power to the solenoid in the fog lamp relay. Fuse 4 in the Battery Junction Box provides power to the fog lamps after passing thru the energized relay.
Does your vehicle have daytime running lamps?

Yes to the tilt. I'm 6'9", so that column is already as far up as it'll go lol.

So, good news and bad. The good news is that there is no visible damage to the wires in my steering column. That's also the bad news.

So I replaced the multifunction switch, and now my high beams work, but the low beams don't. Fogs still not working. Any ideas?

I put the factory MFS back on, took off the door panel, and while I couldn't find any exposed wires, I did find that the little plastic clip that holds the wiring that goes to the lock actuator was just dangling. I snapped it back in, then put a new fuse in for the fogs. Still popped right away. I then said screw it and bought a new relay for the fogs. Put another new fuse in, and more than two weeks later I still have functional fog lamps :)
I'm thinking that by not clipping that little plastic thing back where it belonged, that the idiots at the shop shorted out the relay. Wiring is effing weird.

Back