2000 ford explorer bad vibrations after bumps 3/8/05 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 ford explorer bad vibrations after bumps 3/8/05

polarisxcr

Reaction score
City, State
minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 sport
I had my explorer in for a alignment. Was told the left upper balljoint was bad and had them replace it. Now it has a extremly bad vibration after I hit a bump going over fourty miles an hour that will not stop untill I let off. It is bad enough it will just about put you in the ditch. Brought it back to the shop and was told everything was tight on it but it could be the axel. The vibration is coming from the right side so they replaced that axel. Got it back today still does it and is unsafe to drive. Any ideas please help as the shop can not figure this out. I had put 25 thousand miles on it this past years with no problems. Please help I do not know what to do next and the repair bills are putting me in the poor house and I still do not have a usable truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is likely air in the power steering caused by turning the wheels without the engine running. Doing some lock to lock turns will sometimes purge the air out, or it may have to be purged with a vacuum pump. Very common.

How do I purge it with a vacuum pump. Thanks for the fast reply.

There is a special adaptor that you need to put in place of the resevoir cap. Without the adaptor, it can't really be done.

just to chime in
My drivebelt snapped off when my idler pulley went bad,
I had to manual steer for 2 streets home,

After thr new belt etc was fitted I noticed that I had air in the power steering,

As mentioned, a few lock to lock turns sorted that right out,

I normally just drive them to get air out after doing any front end work... there have been a few occasions that it just wouldn't work quick enough to return the truck to the customer, but normally a few tight turns in a parking lot does the trick.

Back