2000 ford explorer sport 4.0 stalling when in gear. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 ford explorer sport 4.0 stalling when in gear.

2000fordexplorer4

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesboro, tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer sport
I know there’s a lot of post with a similar problem to me but I think my problem is a little different. So my transmission went out in my explorer and I decided to try and rebuild it my self just to see if I could do it. I got it all done using the 5r55e manual and replaced all clutches, bands, seals, and many other parts. I also installed a superior shift kit.

Now the problem is before I removed the transmission the motor ran great I did have a cel due to deleting the egr after a hole rusted in the tube, but none the less ran great. Before I put the transmission back in I gutted the cats when I put it back in and started the motor i filled up the transmission with fluid and tested it. I was feeling good when I cycled it through the gears and it went forward and backwards. So I reversed it out of my shop and was gonna take it on a quick drive in the driveway to see if it shifted , but as soon as I gave it gas in gear it stalled. When I first started it I noticed the motor was running really bad but I wanted to try and take a test drive anyways. It idles rough and doesn’t rev right it’s kinda hard to explain how it revs not really a stutter but not like it did before. So I wasn’t worried until I checked the codes I thought I’d just have to get the motor to run right and it would work fine. But when I checked the codes I also had a bunch of transmission codes. There’s a picture of all the codes some information that might help diagnosis egr is deleted so that code doesn’t matter also when I read the codes I had the o2 sensors after the cats unplugged to see if it would run better without them it didn’t. Another thing is the only thing that I messed with motor wise was the cats. Lastly in the shift kit it had a little white thing with two wires coming off of it that you used two wire taps to connect it to the two red epc wires. I guess that could possibly be the short circuit but idk. I put and image of the white thing I’m talking about at the bottom it’s suppose to make the transmission start building fluid pressure sooner. Also I looked at a similar thread he had a lot of similar codes as me and it said to check fuse number 13 under the hood so I’m gonna check that tomorrow as a starting point. Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
IMG_0041.jpeg
IMG_0042.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I checked that fuse and it was blown but as soon as I put a new one in it blows. How should I go about tracking down the short? The highlighted fuse is the one that keeps blowing.
IMG_0043.png

Check your wiring you disrupted the 02 sensor wiring with trans out
Something
Blowing the fuse that quickly is likely a dead short

Check your wiring you disrupted the 02 sensor wiring with trans out
Something
Blowing the fuse that quickly is likely a dead short
Ya that’s what I was thinking once the fuse is blown if I leave it in the slot and get a volt meter I can check the continuity of the fuse and it will still have continuity even when it’s blown. Is there an easier way to find a short other than just physically inspecting each wire?

Just check your wiring
Check all your work

Before you pulled trans fuse was not blowing
Now it is

Either a wire got pinched or your shift improver install went south or? Over the years I learn to check where I was most recently working first

Just check your wiring
Check all your work

Before you pulled trans fuse was not blowing
Now it is

Either a wire got pinched or your shift improver install went south or? Over the years I learn to check where I was most recently working first
I will defiantly check for a pinch first and see what I can find on the wiring and if I don’t see anything wrong I guess I’ll swap wiring harnesses with my parts trans.

Back