Explorer stalling when put in gear Lots of Codes!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer stalling when put in gear Lots of Codes!!

drock2288

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Cambria PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer
Im new to the forum i discovered it trying to pin point the cause of my vehicle trouble.

I was driving up a hill and my 1999 explorer began acting like it wanted to shut off. I got it to the side of the road safely and it stalled out. It will start and idle and i can put it through all the gears but as soon as i give it gas in any gear it stalls. When it sits in idle the rpms jump between 500 and 1000 and occasionally stalls when idling as well but only after a certain period of time. To make a long story short i got it towed home and plugged my OBD 2 into it and it gave me 10 codes. I will list the codes hopefully some one will be able to help me out.

The OBD 2 I used is the CP9125 PocketScan code reader

Codes
P1747 - EPC solenoid (Not in OBD 2 manual)
P0743 - Torque converter electrical
p0750 - Shift solenoid A malfuntion
p0755 - Shift solenoid B malfuntion
p0760 - Shift solenoid C malfuntion
p0765 - Shift solenoid D malfuntion
p1451 - EVAP control system canister vent solenoid circuit malfuntion (Not in OBD 2 manual)
p0135 - O2 sensor heater circuit malfuntion (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
p0155 - O2 sensor heater circuit malfuntion (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
p01409 - EVR control circuit Malfuntion (Not in OBD 2 manual)

I replaced the EPC solenoid already hoping that the shift solenoids were malfuntioning because of this solenoid. It has a new fuel filter and i replaced the Throttle position sensor.

This vehicle has ran awesome since buying about 5 years ago this is the first sign of trouble i have had with it and i would like nothing more than to have it run again. The stalling out is what is driving me nuts because that can be cause by so many things but if anyone has had a similar experience or may know the remedy please let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, sorry it couldn't have been under better circumstances.

You sure are pulling a lot of codes!

I'm going to move your thread into our Stock 1995-2001 Forum.

I will check the fuse #13, Also would a dirty IAC cause it to stall in gear? I can put it through the gears and rev it in gear while on the brakes, but as soon as I go to move it stalls immediatly. I appreciate the help guys, Thanks alot.

To have that many codes in a truck that was running with no problems it would almost have to be either a fuse (check them all) or a shorted wire.

Absolutely agree with checking fuse #13! I had an O2 wire get frayed and touch a loose piece of heat shielding five or six years ago. Caused a similar issue to what you are experiencing. Took a lot of wire tracing to find it since once the fuse was replaced it ran fine until the wire touched again and shorted, usually while coming to a quick stop or hitting a bump.

Fuse 13 was the issue replaced the fuse found the bare wire and it is good to go. Thank you for your help!

Back