2000 Ford Explorer XLT loose balance shaft ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer XLT loose balance shaft ??

Xtm10

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Exploder XLS
Hi, This is my 1st post so please forgive any errors.
I have a 2000 Explorer XLT V-6 with 177K on the clock. My youngest daughter was driving a few weeks ago, and heard a "funny noise" and the oil pressure gauge was flickering. She drove a short distance to her sisters house and called me. I got there and started it up briefly heard the noise and saw the oil pres. gauge. I checked the oil it was fine. I was thinking it was an oil pump issue and made plans to replace it. Upon dropping the lower pan, I see 2 of the bolts holding one of the ends of the balance shaft laying on the edge of the upper pan, and the balance shaft is kind of rolling around in it's spot in the upper pan. Is this thing worth fixing ? ? or am I opening up a bag of crap ?? I am working on the truck with a buddy in his garage, he was a mechanic on foreign for several yrs. and is a bit baffled with this. :mad::confused:

oil passage

I think there is an oil passage to the balance shaft. If it is out of position the flow thru the oil passage will be excessive resulting in a loss of oil pressure. I assume that the chain is no longer connected. Some members cut the chain to the balance shaft rather than replace the chain tensioner which normally requires removal of the block cradle (upper oil pan). Perhaps that's been done and the balance shaft bearing cap bolts eventually vibrated loose. If there has been no damage to engine bearings, etc. due to low oil pressure I suspect you could just reinstall the bearing cap bolts using locktite.

When we dropped the lower pan, there wasn't any metal filings in the pan or parts floating around. I want to do just what you said, just bolt it back up and be done with it. But it looks like we need to drop the upper pan to do that. From what I'm reading it 's a real pain in the ashcan to seal it up if I do it in the truck. I really don't want to pull the engine. I want it fixed, and then I'm prolly selling it

block cradle after

You're correct. I just looked thru the engine assembly instructions and the block cradle is installed after the balance shaft and oil pump is installed. My 2000 Sport is 2WD and my SOHC V6 does not have the balance shaft. However, I've heard that it is a real pain to remove the block cradle on 4WD models when working under the vehicle. In addition to some special sealant application points the block cradle should be aligned with the block when reinstalled. It is much easier to do with the engine out. If you decide to pull the engine the following thread may be helpful: 1 SOHC V6 Engine Removal Procedure If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the SOHC V6 assembly instructions that shows where to apply sealant and how to align the block cradle.

Back