• Register Today It's free!

2000 mercury mountaineer project!

Cmgent55

Reaction score
City, State
SF Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 merc mountaineer
My step son bought a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer a few weeks ago from a tow yard on lein sale for $500.00. After driving the Mountaineer for about 30 miles the rear end disintegrated on the freeway. There was not a drop of oil in rear differential & gear teeth laying in the bottom of the differental! The step son lost interest in the car and now it will be mine if I fix it!

I pulled a rear end out of a 2000 Mountaineer at Pick-n-pull and now have it installed in mine. The replacement rear end seems to be good!

Now it is on to the front end as there is noise from there and both CV axles are flinging grease. I guess I have a new hoby.

I pulled the front differential & CV axels out of mine. When I had the front end up on jack stands & the front drive shaft disconected, I turned the front yoke. The front axels did not turn. When I opened up the differential cover I found no oil & the pinion gear did not have any teeth!:eek: It was just a smooth 45 degree bevel!

I was able to get the front differential and cv axels off the same car as I got the rear end off of at Pick-n-Pull. Even better, it was 1/2 price weekend! I will install the replacement front end parts tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

Whoa...! :eek:

Good Luck!

Seth K. Pyle

I just completed my cheap '01 Sport Trac project. I had a similar issue with my rear diff plus many, many other repairs. I found the project very rewarding and saved tons of money by using used parts where ever it made sense. I'm currently using the ST as my daily driver. If you want to follow my journey, read the "New Toy" thread in the Sport Trac Forum.

Good luck with your project.

I pulled the front differential & CV axels out of mine. When I had the front end up on jack stands & the front drive shaft disconected, I turned the front yoke. The front axels did not turn. When I opened up the differential cover I found no oil & the pinion gear did not have any teeth!:eek: It was just a smooth 45 degree bevel!

That should work even better than the brown wire mod.:D

I think you should check every bit of fluid in that thing before you turn another wheel.
Replace the filters too.

Back