[2000' SOHC] Third fuel pump is broken | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

[2000' SOHC] Third fuel pump is broken

Yes, we take it for granted that everything is the same for similar models, but there are some odd mysteries we discover every so often.

This OP's truck has something screwy going on, to have only 30psi or so. A 99+ truck shouldn't run at all with that low of fuel pressure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, we take it for granted that everything is the same for similar models, but there are some odd mysteries we discover every so often.

This OP's truck has something screwy going on, to have only 30psi or so. A 99+ truck shouldn't run at all with that low of fuel pressure.

The return-less style fuel system vehicles will run with as little as 20 PSI, albeit not very well.

Yeah, I've had two older Lincolns(85, 90) that had dying pumps and ran poorly for weeks before changing them. One was in the low 20's, while the other was around 28psi. Those need to be 30-32 minimum with more as vacuum drops etc.

Sure.
I think that I should definitely buy 100% fuel pressure regulator. Maybe my replacement one (used but running) is broken too (I've tried also replacing it with FPR from new fuel pump assembly) and does not hold 65 psi pressure but only 30 psi.

Motorcraft pump assembly (as you linked) would be the best choice.

Btw. what do you think about following FPR?
4.5 BAR UNIVERSAL FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR REPLACEMENT UPGRADE CAR MOTORBIKE | eBay

Is there any chance it will be running? I can get exactly the same one for cost of shipment from friend of mine.
On the other hand, motorcraft fuel pump assembly could be in Poland in few weeks.

And I will take photos of my tank, thanks!

If, for whatever reason, your pumps won't produce 65 PSI then the FPR is irrelevant. I won't use a universal FPR. If the FPR is your issue the new Motorcraft FP assembly should fix your problem. However, as I said earlier I'm not totally convinced your FPR is your problem and you're not doing the diagnostics necessary to determine what your real problem is. Voltage, ground at the fuel pump, FPR or line/filter restriction. I'm not even sure the pressure you report (30 PSI) is accurate. When testing fuel pressure at the fuel rail we've seen that some pressure measuring devices don't fully compress the Schrader valve and the reported fuel pressure is inaccurate. In that case the Schrader valve can be removed to insure a more accurate test.

BTW - I've never seen an OE Motorcraft fuel pump assembly for a 2000-2001 Explorer that had a filter on the hose going from the fuel pressure regulator back to the fuel tank (and I've seen a bunch of them). That's weird and really makes no sense to me. That makes a little leery of that assembly. What else might be different?

s-l300.jpg

Pfft! You're right! How did I miss that!

From what I gather, it's for a 2000-2001 FFV Explorer RHD. For south american export perhaps? They use a lot of ethanol/methanol down there.

1L2Z9H307A Pump, With Send
Fuel Economy of the 2001 Ford Explorer USPS 4WD FFV

Under 2001 Explorer on RockAuto, the CARTER P76156S fuel pump has that filter on it and is say "POSTAL" under description.
P76156S_P04_ANG__ra_p.jpg

They also have 1 and 2 port(line) fuel pumps as an options??

I didn't mean to steer you wrong @slisman. I don't think that the right pump.

Can you take some pics of your ride and the pump to get a better idea of what you have going on?

From what I gather, it's for a 2000-2001 FFV Explorer RHD. For south american export perhaps? They use a lot of ethanol/methanol down there.

1L2Z9H307A Pump, With Send
Fuel Economy of the 2001 Ford Explorer USPS 4WD FFV

Under 2001 Explorer on RockAuto, the CARTER P76156S fuel pump has that filter on it and is say "POSTAL" under description.
P76156S_P04_ANG__ra_p.jpg

They also have 1 and 2 port(line) fuel pumps as an options??

I didn't mean to steer you wrong @slisman. I don't think that the right pump.

Can you take some pics of your ride and the pump to get a better idea of what you have going on?

If it's for flex-fuel I still don't understand what the little filter is for. The hose on the FPR outlet isn't an intake, so why would it need a filter? The thing with ethanol would be likely moister in the fuel, but that's not a water separator. Curious.

It's 2000 4.0 SOHC Limited, returnless system. European Version.

Guys! I've just had a glare....can it be faulty GEM module? Somebody recently told me that welding with not unplugged GEM can break it.
And if I can put my problems with fuel pumps on the timeline - they all start with welding exhaust (probably exhaust hanging on car...).

Maybe it's not the answer...but seems connected to me :)

25673448_10208225309110102_214696844_o.jpg

25673537_10208225309270106_1082974482_o.jpg

27016883_10208388627992972_1467418631_o.jpg

EDIT: You are probably right - FPR is good. Because problems with idling were present on cold. So FPR is probably keeping pressure.

Guys, problem solved.
Now I have 4,5 bar pressure.
Low pressure was caused by leak in FPR assembly and on fuel line next to it.

No it have perfect pressue!
Thank you all for help! Hope now pump will be running long.

Excellent, very good. I hope it goes trouble free for a long time.

And due to this strange vacuum-like line.
It is only metal pipe that goes down to the tank.

pompa.jpg

Very good, that's a big unit. I guess the extra line is just a vented path for part of the emissions system, maybe straight from the charcoal canister.

Back