2000 Sport Premium - Worth Repainting? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Sport Premium - Worth Repainting?

Hey all. Hoping the community can help me figure out if its worth repainting my two door Sport.

Apologies as this turned into a long post. But wanted to give the full story on this rig so you all know how to evaluate it.

I'm trying to get an idea of cost for a repaint and if the increased value of the vehicle would be worth the painting cost.

So here are the details and backstory.

Details:
2000 Sport Premium
4.0L SOHC 4x4 (4.10 Gears)
Oxford White with Medium Titanium Metallic factory body kit
Light grey interior
Every option minus leather/sunroof
Mileage: 80,000

Backstory:
Back in 2001 I bought this as a low mileage salvage title vehicle. The damage was exclusively sheet metal; only reason I decided to buy it. Left fender door and quarter panel were replaced with Ford OEM metal. No frame of mechanical damage. I repaired and repainted the vehicle.

Unfortunately I was sold some shoddy clearcoat that started peeling after a number of years.
The vehicle was garaged and always full detailed/waxed 3-4 times a year and a Quick Detailer/Protectant (EagleOne wipe and Shine) after every hand wash, never took it through auto washes.
Note: Some might question my painting or application. But the door jams which never see sun/UV have been perfectly fine. So I blame the clearcoat product for lack of UV stability.

So, the result is the top side surfaces clearcoat is severely peeling. The lower portion of the sides are ok.
I feel all the clear should be removed for a repaint except for the jam areas as those don't see UV exposure.

There are no dents at all, zero. Some rust on the edges of the running boards, nothing some sand-down and naval jelly wouldn't solve.

So the big labor is sanding off the defective clear. I would have considered doing it myself again but no longer have the shop I had to to do it in.

Interior and mechanically its tip top shape. Interior still looks practically new. Mechanically it runs like a top, always maintained.

I do have concern about the timing chain issue these SOHC engines are known for. But so far it hasn't had any issues.
I don't hear the dreaded timing chain death rattle these are known for. But this does have 80K on it, around the miles many started to experience issues. However, this rig has also had a very easy life. No towing, no aggressive driving, no real off-roading. Basically its an urban 4x4 that's seen winter snow driving in the Northwest.

Not expecting a show quality job (I color sanded it to zero orange peel). But I don't want the Earl Scheib special either.

I don't mind investing if the value it brings back is there. I know these two doors are somewhat rare and this one I think would be one of the best condition examples out there if the paint were fixed. But obviously vehicle value to cost is still important.

It was a darn nice rig... before the clear went. :(

Picture of after I repaired and painted it in 2001. Its still the best looking Explorer generation I think. And the Sports just look sharp.

FLeft.jpg

Any bodymen out there that know the cost of repainting this would be?
Is this rig worth trying to bring back to its prime days?
Or perhaps this is now a candidate for some kind of alternative finish, looks decent but is inexpensive job for an average driver?
Or, is it now just a good running peeler not worth anything more than general maintenance?

So... Comments? Ideas on cost, value, etc? Not sure what direction I should go on this explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you neevr know the type of job done (im sure OP did a good job, but generally) so a brand will inevitably hurt any value. now if we consider a 1st gen explorer a classic, sure fine the value is low anyways, a brand wont hurt much, but if you get into collectables valued highly (taking more like bronco k5 etc), a brand certainly matters. it impacts your collection value, and collectors value originality, so having major repairs is usually a big no no... at least imo. not a collector haha so cant say, but thats how id go about it. id buy a branded 1st gen maybe if the price is right, but a k5 or bronco, never. (unless its next to nothing to buy)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many classic cars have you purchased yourself? Asking for a number, not just asking back “hAvE yOu? That’s an obvious non-answer. You can do better.

I’m sure you’re quite the seasoned collector.

You’re simply wrong. A branded title hurts a collectibles value. Period. It hurts a non-collectables value as well. It’s the entire reason they brand them.

THIS is an EXTREMELY Basic concept I shouldn’t have to explain to anyone who really knows anything about cars, or collectables.

How much do you think a rust free cab NOT needing paint will cost?
As soon as you admit that you asked the first place rhetorically just to validate your own belief that I have absolutely no clue, is when I'll consider dealing with that for you.
You nor I are seasoned collectors.
*You* are simply making multiple points instead of staying on track. I said "there are collectors who would consider this regardless of title status." Now you are saying "you're wrong that it doesn't hurt value." I never said it doesn't hurt value? Where the hell are you getting that from?????
The reading comprehension level around these parts (your parts. specifically.) is a bit low for my taste.. I don't know if you expect me to keep up with the point changing per message theme, but that's a bit unrealistic. So I won't be.
I genuinely cannot believe you think I mean for him to buy a rust free cab body to keep the rust free cab body. I mean for him to buy a chassis to swap this cab body onto to make it make sense to paint it if that is the route he wants to go, if this body means something to him. As I said in previous messages. Gotta read if you wanna take part in a forum. Not a new concept in any way shape or form. Absorb that concept and get back to me.
Little too much brakleen today looks like. ****in sheesh

I never claimed to be a collector. Doesn’t
I think when the time comes a collector would not care if it had a rebuilt/salvage title.
My whole point was that a collector would care. Why? Because it hurts, say it with me………value. That appreciation you assume this will have will be lessened.

So in your BODY scenario just to fix the tire he’s out paint, and a body. Great start for something you hope to appreciate.

Geez, it almost seems like it would a great waste of money.

As soon as you admit that you asked the first place rhetorically just to validate your own belief that I have absolutely no clue, is when I'll consider dealing with that for you.
You nor I are seasoned collectors.
*You* are simply making multiple points instead of staying on track. I said "there are collectors who would consider this regardless of title status." Now you are saying "you're wrong that it doesn't hurt value." I never said it doesn't hurt value? Where the hell are you getting that from?????
The reading comprehension level around these parts (your parts. specifically.) is a bit low for my taste.. I don't know if you expect me to keep up with the point changing per message theme, but that's a bit unrealistic. So I won't be.
I genuinely cannot believe you think I mean for him to buy a rust free cab body to keep the rust free cab body. I mean for him to buy a chassis to swap this cab body onto to make it make sense to paint it if that is the route he wants to go, if this body means something to him. As I said in previous messages. Gotta read if you wanna take part in a forum. Not a new concept in any way shape or form. Absorb that concept and get back to me.
Little too much brakleen today looks like. ****in sheesh
whoops, ill admit here i didnt read the whole thread 💀 read a few and responded based off those. but if you said people will consider it regardless, absolutely. theyll consider it, but it dissuades many for the reasons above.it does, for something like a 2nd gen with little fan base, cut most of the market off, since most buying these are looking for cheap reliable rigs to get to work and back, not show cars. thus, for these, its time we let go of resale value imo and at this point keeping a 2nd gen anything but mechanically sound is a labor of love, not for resale value. jmo. and sorry for not reading the rest 🤣

however as time goes on and cars get more and more slim picking, or as prices rise, many may steer that direction

this is coming from someone who is not a collector.

whoops, ill admit here i didnt read the whole thread 💀 read a few and responded based off those. but if you said people will consider it regardless, absolutely. theyll consider it, but it dissuades many for the reasons above.it does, for something like a 2nd gen with little fan base, cut most of the market off, since most buying these are looking for cheap reliable rigs to get to work and back, not show cars. thus, for these, its time we let go of resale value imo and at this point keeping a 2nd gen anything but mechanically sound is a labor of love, not for resale value. jmo. and sorry for not reading the rest 🤣

however as time goes on and cars get more and more slim picking, or as prices rise, many may steer that direction

this is coming from someone who is not a collector.
It is super unlikely, IMO, that you're gonna find a healthy 2nd gen with under 80k miles in the coming years. When that time comes, since everyone expends these trucks and has from day one, they'll appreciate (even more) in value. That's how it tends to go, yanno..
If you were saying whoops to me, don't worry!! No big deal I didn't even have any issue with what you said at all lol :p
These will absolutely without question be lumped in with that same group that 90s OBS fullsize pickups, rangers, Bronco IIs are in and are already starting to be there. By the time they are, they will appreciate hard core.

The biggest thing I can't stress enough is a lot of people who own these ((these: collectible, unique, nostalgic, etc.)) trucks don't own them because they see dollar signs, they see rarity and personal value represented in the number that other people are willing to pay to have the same experience of owning one they are. ($$$ = My thing is cool! No I don't plan to sell it. I have it because I like it.) That is usually why people take on crazy "pointless" projects and often is a driving factor why people will do entire body swaps for something that is "just a Ford Explorer" or maybe 5-10 years ago "Just an F150, F250" or say 20 years ago "Just a ****ty old Bronco."

No more Body-on-Frame (Edit: No more body-on-frame light pickups this size. Is what I mean to encompass with that sentence.).. No more small light pickups. And no more small light truck-based SUVs. It will never be a thing again with modern regulations.
It may literally take 10 to 20 more years to see the full appreciation of a particular vehicle in this class of vehicles' uniqueness/rarity/value, but it will happen, and it has already begun to happen.

I never claimed to be a collector. Doesn’t
My whole point was that a collector would care. Why? Because it hurts, say it with me………value. That appreciation you assume this will have will be lessened.

So in your BODY scenario just to fix the tire he’s out paint, and a body. Great start for something you hope to appreciate.

Geez, it almost seems like it would a great waste of money.
You're totally lost dude. I said he would keep the body and drop it onto a new chassis and register it as the "donor" chassis. Which really means, get a chassis/complete truck with a title... and use the current body as a "donor." This body -> The new chassis which has a clear title. The only catch is the chassis has to be also low mileage, for this to make total sense if any. That's about how he swings it though, not me.
He could get one for very cheap if the body on the newly bought clear title truck needs tons of work, or for any reason. ****, I bought my whole truck that only needed suspension replacements done and a few sensors for $700. Some are a steal some are over priced, some are in the middle. That's just what buying something is. I am about confident he could find something that makes sense to him if he cares about the project passionately.
It isn't like a chassis is going to be that hard to find with how many sit around over the years. I'm not gonna get further into the logistics of that, but if you know, you know. If you don't, well, is what it is.
And I guess I have to put disclaimers on what I write now because of individual confusion, but I will once again state, that is not the be-all-end-all solution. It is simply one option that I have seen practiced a million times over.
It is not rocket science. It is common and it is normal. I don't know how this isn't just clicking for you.

Last edited:

It is super unlikely, IMO, that you're gonna find a healthy 2nd gen with under 80k miles in the coming years. When that time comes, since everyone expends these trucks and has from day one, they'll appreciate (even more) in value. That's how it tends to go, yanno..
If you were saying whoops to me, don't worry!! No big deal I didn't even have any issue with what you said at all lol :p
These will absolutely without question be lumped in with that same group that 90s OBS fullsize pickups, rangers, Bronco IIs are in and are already starting to be there. By the time they are, they will appreciate hard core.

The biggest thing I can't stress enough is a lot of people who own these ((these: collectible, unique, nostalgic, etc.)) trucks don't own them because they see dollar signs, they see rarity and personal value represented in the number that other people are willing to pay to have the same experience of owning one they are. ($$$ = My thing is cool! No I don't plan to sell it. I have it because I like it.) That is usually why people take on crazy "pointless" projects and often is a driving factor why people will do entire body swaps for something that is "just a Ford Explorer" or maybe 5-10 years ago "Just an F150, F250" or say 20 years ago "Just a ****ty old Bronco."

No more Body-on-Frame (Edit: No more body-on-frame light pickups this size. Is what I mean to encompass with that sentence.).. No more small light pickups. And no more small light truck-based SUVs. It will never be a thing again with modern regulations.
It may literally take 10 to 20 more years to see the full appreciation of a particular vehicle in this class of vehicles' uniqueness/rarity/value, but it will happen, and it has already begun to happen.
that is fair!!!! already starting to see the nostalgia, alot of "oh my parents used to have one!" even for an offer once for someone who wanted one to give to their parents since they used to have one. guess they dont make em liek they used to! and true under 100k is hard enough even now, and msot of them are beat up soccer movers haha. i just wonder how much they will appreciate, since they made millions of these, and the following... is well.............. very small! but thats fair, theres usually 2 ways it goes: nostalgia, but still they mad so many it doesnt matter the condition (as much), or ig liek you said about OBS trucks.

heck, even the work trucks are selling for crazy money 💀 if it has a dirtymax, cummins, or PS, you can bet its selling crazy, even the gas ones too. but id think the ones to appreciate more would be the 1st gens vs 2nd gens, since 2nd gens were much more common, and 1st gens look more "retro" sicne theyre boxy, could get red interior, etc. not available on 2g. now thats not to say these wont appreciate someday, ig who knows!!!!! though pretty sure this one will never be worth much, 330k miles, sohc,lightly modded 4wd.........very niche!!!

on what you said about no more body on frame light pickups- blame CAFE! and that formula they came up w/ in 08! iirc for a small pickup like a ranger (not new one, but ya know), its gotta get liek 50 mpg, which is virtually unobtanium!!!!

that is fair!!!! already starting to see the nostalgia, alot of "oh my parents used to have one!" even for an offer once for someone who wanted one to give to their parents since they used to have one. guess they dont make em liek they used to! and true under 100k is hard enough even now, and msot of them are beat up soccer movers haha. i just wonder how much they will appreciate, since they made millions of these, and the following... is well.............. very small! but thats fair, theres usually 2 ways it goes: nostalgia, but still they mad so many it doesnt matter the condition (as much), or ig liek you said about OBS trucks.

heck, even the work trucks are selling for crazy money 💀 if it has a dirtymax, cummins, or PS, you can bet its selling crazy, even the gas ones too. but id think the ones to appreciate more would be the 1st gens vs 2nd gens, since 2nd gens were much more common, and 1st gens look more "retro" sicne theyre boxy, could get red interior, etc. not available on 2g. now thats not to say these wont appreciate someday, ig who knows!!!!! though pretty sure this one will never be worth much, 330k miles, sohc,lightly modded 4wd.........very niche!!!

on what you said about no more body on frame light pickups- blame CAFE! and that formula they came up w/ in 08! iirc for a small pickup like a ranger (not new one, but ya know), its gotta get liek 50 mpg, which is virtually unobtanium!!!!
You would not BELIEVE the comments my Ex gets me now that I moved somewhere more suburban vs rural. So so so many people are like "I used to have one! I love it!" etc etc, like you said. Especially after a nice detail hahaha
CAFE, you're damn right!! You would love to hear about the 90's EPA scandal that resulted in the Explorers, Grand Cherokees, ETC. Very very interesting. That's why they're "light trucks" the automakers basically said "these will be work vehicles." Of course, they sold them to soccer moms ;)

^Is not the exact source I had in mind, but it cites it.

I really thought, also, that 2nd gens would be poor to appreciate.. So far I've been wrong. I'm chalking that up to being like the Civic. Whereas the 2nd gen Explorer was most produced and sold SUV, the Civic was the most produced and sold car (IIRC, could be wrong, think so, right?) and they also appreciated like hell in value. Notably right as soon as everyone started modding theirs lol. I guess it went two ways: modding platform that is cheap (lol Explorer), and "un-molested, factory examples now that they are harder to find," (lol, also Explorer.) That's my subjective opinion, but yeah lol

I can't seem to get this in the above post without an error (probably thinks I'm a spam bot for certain characters that were used in the article,)
this is the significant parts of the article so you don't 1. have to subscribe to the NYT just to read two paragraphs, and 2. so it's just right here lol. This is from the linked article, the parts that actually matter to what I was posting about:

The manufacturers are worried about a meeting -- beginning on Monday in Kyoto, Japan -- in which 166 nations will try to limit global warming, which has been linked to the burning of fossil fuels like gasoline.

American emissions of global warming gases are increasing even faster than previously expected, in part because of the rise in popularity of sport utility vehicles and other gas-guzzling light trucks. These trucks will be the fastest-growing source of global warming gases in the United States over the next decade, according to a new study by an Environmental Protection Agency researcher, exceeding the increase in all industrial emissions combined. Already the emissions from 65 million light trucks match those from the 125 million cars on the road, the study found, and truck emissions are expected to move sharply ahead of those from cars in the years ahead.

But auto makers oppose curbing gasoline consumption through higher gasoline taxes or tighter fuel-economy standards. On Oct. 2, the Big Three's chief executives and the president of the United Automobile Workers union met with President Clinton. Three weeks after that meeting, when the President announced his position on global warming, he conspicuously omitted any mention of restrictions on vehicles.
The auto makers have also set up lobbying groups like the Coalition for Vehicle Choice, which says it includes 6,000 other organizations and 35,000 people. The coalition has persuaded a broad range of nonprofit groups to join its efforts to influence regulators and politicians of both parties.

But the industry does not need to spend a lot of money on coalitions or campaign contributions to achieve its goals. Virtually every Congressional district has auto dealerships, while auto assembly plants and parts factories have spread out of the Great Lakes region to the South and both coasts. General Motors and Ford are so enormous that they each produce more than 1 percent of the nation's economic output, the only two companies to do so. The 800,000-strong U.A.W. is a potent force in Democratic politics. So it is no surprise that the auto makers and union leaders generally encounter an open door when they call on lawmakers.

Nor have the auto makers been shy about using their position as the nation's biggest advertisers to discourage the news media from criticizing light trucks. The industry, for instance, virtually stopped advertising in the Sierra Club's magazine after an article discussed the poor fuel economy of sport utility vehicles.

Here are some of the ways that light trucks are given special treatment:

Most light trucks are allowed to emit 75 percent to 175 percent more smog-causing nitrogen oxides than even the biggest cars.

Each manufacturer is required to build a fleet of cars with an average fuel economy of 27.5 miles a gallon, but light trucks have to clear a bar of just 20.7 miles a gallon. Manufacturers can make their trucks much heavier and roomier while using fewer expensive but weight-saving aluminum parts. But those trucks consume far more gasoline than even the biggest cars and spew more gases that contribute to global warming.

The largest Chevrolet Suburbans and full-size pickups have become so heavy that they no longer even qualify as light trucks under the 22-year-old fuel-economy legislation. That means their fuel economies are not even calculated or included in the manufacturers' averages.

By building pickup trucks and mini-vans that can run on ethanol as well as gasoline, auto makers plan to win credits from the Government that will allow them to build more gas-guzzling light trucks -- even if buyers of the special vehicles never use ethanol, a type of alcohol made from grain and extremely rare at filling stations.

Until 1989, American-made sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks and mini-vans were protected from foreign competition by a Federal tax on imported light trucks that was 10 times as high as the tax on imported cars. That high tax of 25 percent still applies to imported pickups. So American auto makers have been under less competitive pressure to develop cleaner, more fuel-efficient trucks, as they had to do with cars.

Light trucks are exempt from the Federal gas-guzzler tax, which covers cars that get less than 22.5 miles a gallon and can add as much as $7,700 to the price of some expensive sedans and sports cars.

People who use fairly large light trucks on the job -- even real estate agents carrying nothing bulkier than brochures in Lincoln Navigator sport utility vehicles -- are allowed to claim larger tax deductions than people using cars for business.

A lot of bigger light trucks are exempt from the Federal tax on luxury vehicles, now 8 percent of the amount of the sale price that exceeds $36,000.

Many of these special arrangements for light trucks were made during the energy conservation movement of the 1970's, when only 20 million light trucks were on the road, and they were mainly commercial vehicles. Lawmakers and regulators focused on making cars cleaner and more fuel efficient because there were so many more of them.

But as light trucks have become the vehicle of choice among millions of families who use them just like cars, they have grown from one-sixth of those sold to almost half. Today, the 65 million light trucks on the road are more than triple the number in 1975, while the number of cars on the road has only risen by a third since then.

The auto industry has not encountered much resistance to the special treatment of light trucks. The Government has raised the fuel-economy standard for light trucks by just two-tenths of a mile a gallon over the last decade, to 20.7 miles a gallon from 20.5. Since 1995, Congress has barred further increases.

And while the Government tightened standards for nitrogen oxide emissions for both cars and light trucks several years ago and is planning to tighten them further, the standards remain far more lax for trucks.
So, essentially, instead of classifying the Grand Cherokee, or Explorer, or otherwise as "Wagons" they just said they were "Light Trucks." So they could have much worse emissions (aka use the motors and emissions equipment they already planned on using.. lol), change the legal height of the bumpers (higher than what would have been allowed -- lead to a light truck "scandal" how they were like 2x more likely to kill average motorists in normal vehicles in crash scenarios than a regular vehicle would), etc. Other vehicles could not have these factors, so that is how they got around the regulations. #LightTrucks

You would not BELIEVE the comments my Ex gets me now that I moved somewhere more suburban vs rural. So so so many people are like "I used to have one! I love it!" etc etc, like you said. Especially after a nice detail hahaha
CAFE, you're damn right!! You would love to hear about the 90's EPA scandal that resulted in the Explorers, Grand Cherokees, ETC. Very very interesting. That's why they're "light trucks" the automakers basically said "these will be work vehicles." Of course, they sold them to soccer moms ;)

^Is not the exact source I had in mind, but it cites it.

I really thought, also, that 2nd gens would be poor to appreciate.. So far I've been wrong. I'm chalking that up to being like the Civic. Whereas the 2nd gen Explorer was most produced and sold SUV, the Civic was the most produced and sold car (IIRC, could be wrong, think so, right?) and they also appreciated like hell in value. Notably right as soon as everyone started modding theirs lol. I guess it went two ways: modding platform that is cheap (lol Explorer), and "un-molested, factory examples now that they are harder to find," (lol, also Explorer.) That's my subjective opinion, but yeah lol
100%! this one is always clean... ok most of the time... since its also a detail rig haha

and haha yep, they certainly feel like LTs sometimes though! compared to a highlander of similiar vintage thats for sure. these remind me a good deal of maybe a tacoma a bit, just a taco with a loaded bed... somaybe thats a 4runner 😂😂😂

interesting point true true. the civics were cheap "tuner" speed... the explorers... cheap... transportation 😂😂😂 but thats true drove a 92 dx stixk manual window no ac no power steer etc etc and apparently the owenr was offered 3k+1k value firearm for it!!!!!!! effectively a 4k value, blows my mind!
I can't seem to get this in the above post without an error (probably thinks I'm a spam bot for certain characters that were used in the article,)
this is the significant parts of the article so you don't 1. have to subscribe to the NYT just to read two paragraphs, and 2. so it's just right here lol. This is from the linked article, the parts that actually matter to what I was posting about:

So, essentially, instead of classifying the Grand Cherokee, or Explorer, or otherwise as "Wagons" they just said they were "Light Trucks." So they could have much worse emissions (aka use the motors and emissions equipment they already planned on using.. lol), change the legal height of the bumpers (higher than what would have been allowed -- lead to a light truck "scandal" how they were like 2x more likely to kill average motorists in normal vehicles in crash scenarios than a regular vehicle would), etc. Other vehicles could not have these factors, so that is how they got around the regulations. #LightTrucks
yeah sounds about right, sounds like 90s ford 💀

100%! this one is always clean... ok most of the time... since its also a detail rig haha

and haha yep, they certainly feel like LTs sometimes though! compared to a highlander of similiar vintage thats for sure. these remind me a good deal of maybe a tacoma a bit, just a taco with a loaded bed... somaybe thats a 4runner 😂😂😂

interesting point true true. the civics were cheap "tuner" speed... the explorers... cheap... transportation 😂😂😂 but thats true drove a 92 dx stixk manual window no ac no power steer etc etc and apparently the owenr was offered 3k+1k value firearm for it!!!!!!! effectively a 4k value, blows my mind!

yeah sounds about right, sounds like 90s ford 💀
A detail rig huh ;) That's a dream. I wish lol. Maybe one day, huh.
You would not believe how great I felt when I saw that the $800 explorer I bought off of a literal meth dealer with actual bloodstains in it had a detail sticker on the inner door.
It looked like HELL when I got it but everything had been so incredibly well taken care of before this guy, it came back to life 110%. Interior too. Lots of rubbing alcohol involved just because I felt safer that way..... lmao... That's all a story for another section of the forum.

Right???? They totally were a platform though. I mean. Now they're good for offroaders if you are looking for something "cheap and well understood by now." Back then they definitely were perfect all-around transportation once they were not brand new anymore LOL. Then gas prices.... We were all there, we know what happened next. hahaha

A detail rig huh ;) That's a dream. I wish lol. Maybe one day, huh.
You would not believe how great I felt when I saw that the $800 explorer I bought off of a literal meth dealer with actual bloodstains in it had a detail sticker on the inner door.
It looked like HELL when I got it but everything had been so incredibly well taken care of before this guy, it came back to life 110%. Interior too. Lots of rubbing alcohol involved just because I felt safer that way..... lmao... That's all a story for another section of the forum.

Right???? They totally were a platform though. I mean. Now they're good for offroaders if you are looking for something "cheap and well understood by now." Back then they definitely were perfect all-around transportation once they were not brand new anymore LOL. Then gas prices.... We were all there, we know what happened next. hahaha
yeeeeeeeeeeep know how that one goes. not the buying off a dealer but the cleaning stains etc etc. and yes ipa is good to disinfect. and if its that masty id pull the seats carpets etc pressure wash em out soap em down wash out since thats ewww

CfC yep. exactly, its like ranger va tacoma. tacoma name vrand ranger for those who dont want to pay for tacoma. same with X and 4runner! and def these are great all arounders stock theyre good to haul decent size fecent power especially for the time tows good, and within reason is good enough offroad stock as far as doing forest roads imo

yeeeeeeeeeeep know how that one goes. not the buying off a dealer but the cleaning stains etc etc. and yes ipa is good to disinfect. and if its that masty id pull the seats carpets etc pressure wash em out soap em down wash out since thats ewww

CfC yep. exactly, its like ranger va tacoma. tacoma name vrand ranger for those who dont want to pay for tacoma. same with X and 4runner! and def these are great all arounders stock theyre good to haul decent size fecent power especially for the time tows good, and within reason is good enough offroad stock as far as doing forest roads imo

Yeahhhhh hahaha.. But I got it for a steal!!!
Carpets are out, never put them back and I don't even care. I had done every square centimeter of the interior to first sterilize and then clean it. I did a whole interior removal detail on this truck. Seats out, of course, too.. Didn't have to pressure wash the seats because they're the leather-vinyl, I just rubbed them down with a microfiber w/ soap and polish to get the garbage out of the creases and cracks, after my initial isopropyl assault of course.. then went over with a regular leather cleaner then "leather" conditioner. It really smelled like 5 wet dogs in there when we got it.... And it excited me because it was a rare challenge. >:]
Pressure washer vs carpet is a win IMO especially with a solid degreaser. I decided I just didn't like the carpet once I had it out, especially since I took it through mud all the time back then so it was really counter intuitive to have it installed.
There was, I **** you not, blood on the windshield and seatbelts. We found a baggie behind the fold down seats. It was like that.... And now she's a spotless little angel. And it smells *good* inside!! Hahahah

So what was in the baggie. Lmao
Some interesting substance... I won't lie, I'm very averse to any altering substances after a near death experience from some (yes, actually,) laced weed about 10 or so years ago. I don't even wanna be near them let alone find them and have to handle them.. Lmao
It was white, I think we said it's probably dope.
Guy we bought it from, who's name was John (he went to prison @ some point not long after for distribution and production of, you guessed it, meth,) had some belongings still in the back of the truck, since we are pretty sure he may have been camping out in it prior to the sale.
He was gonna buy a Harley.
May or may not have returned the bag of interesting stuff to him in his belongings that he still had to get out of the back of the truck, may or may not have disposed of it. I dunno.. Haha, you be the judge of that. It's actually quite the story us buying it in the first place.. Fake temp tags, he drove it back to the house for us so we didn't have to tow it at quite literally 100 ****ing miles an hour down the highway with no cats.. You know, just regular people ****. He thought we were law enforcement from the town we lived in when we tried to contact him on Marketplace to check out/buy the truck (he lived in a different town at this point,) because he got into trouble with the law where we were located, and we had to convince him, no, we aren't feds, just regular people, and no, we don't know people you knew... I think when I told him "I need it to get my 70y/o crippled mom to the doctor" (her legs are fused straight.. need something tall and roomy about once a year for in-person and then the rest of the time she can do video sessions w/ dr. anyway.) it sounded like a too good to be true investigator/bait story, and it sure as hell does looking back at it but it was true LOL. It was the wildest experience I think I've ever had and I would do it again because it was exhilerating wondering if he was even gonna drive it to my house or try to escape with how fast he was going hahahah.

Last edited:

Back