TCPRR

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Here is a good one.
I have a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac V6.
My turn signal relay starts to click as soon as I turn on the key, no the turn signal is not activated from column. If I push on the brake it stops.
It all started when I heard a relay chatter from under the dash, it sounded like a monkey on crack trying to do morris code, really fast and erratic . So I took a guess and thought it was the brake pedal switch, so I replaced it, nope still there. So I dug around and found the relay box and opened it. The turn signal relay was hot and chattering, so I replaced it. Was ok for a couple of days now the turn signal relay starts when I turn on the key, same pattern as when you turn on your turn signal or hazards. Both the turn signals and hazards work fine.

Any help or hints would be appreciated.

TCPRR
Grand Rapids, MI.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still Ticking

:( Column position does not make a difference.

Could possibly be a loose wire in the steering column. I had a little different problem with mine but that was the culprit.

Tore apart the column last night check wiring/connections all appears OK.
STILL TICKING :(

have you checked your light sockets? My jeep had the same issue. turned out that the front left socket had dirt/corrosion in it. not to mention moisture.

Solved, replaced the multi-purpose switch (turn signals, hazards, wiper operation, bright lights) with a new one off ebay for $40.00 with shipping.
The ticking has stopped and the radio can be turned down now.

Back