2001 Explorer manual door latch woes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer manual door latch woes

TJ Johnson

Reaction score
City, State
South Congaree, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Hey all,
A short while ago I joined this site/forum (GREAT SITE !!!) and asked a question in the introduction forum pertaining to the latch and the rods that attach to it(drivers door)........... well I looked at the passenger side which works and saw where the rod/linkage is supposed to be.
It seems like there is some thing wrong with the latch as far as the interior lock knob and the key lock.
My question NOW, is what years are compatible (Rangers, explorers or what have you) with my 2001 manual locks Explorer ?
I think getting a latch with a working lock set and transferring the cylinder lock linkage attached to the latch would do me better.
Thanks for any help,
TJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98-01 Explorer/Mountaineer should all be compatible with your truck. The latches sometimes wear in the rivet attachment for the moving parts, and then they don't line up correctly.

Thank you Master. How is the E-fan working out for you?

You are welcome, my young paduwan. The e-fan is working out very well. Thanks for asking. It does nicely for off roading as well. Because of the ability to turn off the fan I don't get muddy water sprayed all over the engine. Plus I've heard that it's not good for electric motors to run under water. lol

Master, This unworthy one was hoping that Ranger manual lock doors (possibly the extended cab models) would also be in the donor list. In the Columbia area, parts yards are getting harder to find. The more donors I could use would help me.
It is/was my wife's and gets great mileage, ice cold air. It would be nice to be able to lock it up to slow down lowlifes,

I did some searching, and it appears that the Ranger latches and associated rods and hardware are not interchange-able with the Explorers. They use totally different part numbers and also mount differently.

Thank you Master. DRATS!!!! I was hoping-but, such is life..........
Thanks again,
TJ

Back