2002 Sport Trac 4X4, converted to a 2X4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac 4X4, converted to a 2X4

I'm lookiing for any available information as to how I can stuff a 5.4 Lightning power train into a 2002 Sport Trac safely.
The original was a 4X4, going to a 2 wheel drive street rocket.

I'm very aware of the differentail being a "pumpkin" larger and narrower in a Lightning being required, as well as the brakes being retro-fitted. As well as retro-fit of the Lightning lower control arms.
What do I need to do to make the upper control arms fit?
Frame fit? Cooling system?
The wiring harnesses?
Do I need both the instrument cluster, and the dash and engine harnesses to make this work?
Bear with me. I'm "old school", back in the days when a 67 Camaro was a used car on the dealer's lot.
I can straighten a frame with no headaches, and swap Chevy or Ford small blocks to big blocks, but this new computer stuff is driving me nuts!
Am I better of to buy a total loss "salvage, parts only" Lightning to make this project happen?

yes you will want the entire lightning donor drivetrain, trans, engine, computer, harness, etc
The Sport trac rear axle can take the power, at least for a bit.
Stuffing the 5.4L into a Gen II Explorer is going to be V ERY interesting.
The steering shaft, brake booster, heater box, frame rails are bigger issues then worrying about the brakes and 2wd conversion.
The 5.4L is a HUGE engine, the 4.6l conversion has been done and is being done and it is also a tight fit.
You are looking at ALOT of work and ALOT of $$$

Ford built a Ranger with the lightning drivetrain, it has been covered on this forum recently you may try a search.

Converting the truck to 2wd is also interesting, I would look for the entire front suspension/arms/knuckles from a 2wd Ranger Edge, Explorer or Sport trac this would be the easiest way aside from buying a 2wd trac.

Good luck, try searching around a bit.

As 410 mentioned, you are going to need the entire drivetrain from the Lightning. It wouldn't hurt to find complete 'wrecked' Lightning to make this project happen. There could be other parts that can be swapped over to the Ex.

My dad is building a '56 pickup now with a Lightning drivetrain. He picked up a complete wrecked Lightning for less than what the motor would have cost alone.

Should be a sweet project though. Keep us up on your progress.

lets see that 56 :)

Here are a few pics

410 you've got mail.

Not too many recent ones however. Viper blue and silver, with tangelo trim. 22" Budnik One-Offs. Should be sick when its all done.

'56 Lightning

Back