• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer starting problems

OU8124U

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, Explorer
About 6 months ago I had a proble with starting usually a jump would work or if I unscrewed the gas cap. I had the decarbonization process completed and that seemed to take care of the problem but here recently it's again a problem but no where near as bad, I have also replaced the battery and have used Techron a few times. Any ideas as to the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d check the fuel pressure.

How many miles on your truck? If over 150K, has the fuel pump been replaced? Check your fuel pressure the next time it wont start. For a 2001 it should read around 65 PSI at the fuel rail.

Start easy & cheap - has the fuel filter ever been replaced?

$10 - $15 at Rock Auto / AMAZON or a reputable auto parts store

Suggest Motorcraft or WIX brand.

You also wrote that your battery is new, yet you require a jump start - how are your spark plugs?

HTH, welcome to the forum, and Happy New Year!

It doesn't get any cheaper than checking your fuel pressure. You can even do it with an inexpensive Slime dial-type tire pressure gauge. From there you can move on to changing your fuel filter if you haven't done it in around 30-40 thousand miles, but in my experience a clogged fuel filter is more like to cause a low fuel pressure issue during acceleration rather than during start-up (when fuel demand is low).

If the fuel pump turns out to be the issue and you're a DIY'er you can just replace the pump for around $40-$50. For an '01 I highly recommend the Bosch brand pump kit (PN69128) off eBay.

If your fuel pressure is okay, your crank position sensor may be at fault. It controls spark, but from your description I'm thinking fuel pump (verify first).

Guys - keep in mind these Ex's are going on 20 years old, and through multiple owners - 80% of whom only knew where the gas cap and the supermarket is ;-)

With that said, when it comes to preventative maintenance, the very large physical size of the 2nd Gen exposed fuel filter tends to be it's Achilles Heel.

It's 1/2 a coke can size results in that it almost never gets changed out, that is until a problem arises.

That gets me to thinking - OU8124U - when you go to Harbor Freight to get the disconnect tools necessary to get the old fuel filter off, make sure and get the alloy fuel filter tools - not the plastic ones.

Link: Fuel Line Disconnect Set 4 Pc

image_12802.jpg

Those disconnect tools are similar to the set I got at AutoZone. They work better than anything else I've tried. I find the 5/16" size works best on the filter. Push the line into the filter a little and backup the tool with a pair of needle nose pliers. Has worked every time for me.

I’ve never seen a fuel filter so bad it prevented starting.

I’ve never seen a fuel filter so bad it prevented starting.

Probably 'cause you guys know where the fuel filter is on your Ex ;-)

Seriously, I'm blown away with 15,000 - 25,000 fuel filter changes on my Ex.

I pull out the old one, turn it upside down so the intake side is facing downwards, and let it drain into a glass jar - ewwwwww, black gas... And I choose "clean" and maintained gas stations - avoiding the el-cheapo supremo discount stations because I know their tanks are dirty and they don't regularly change their pump filters. 80% of 2nd Gen Ex owners probably choose the latter, due to Ex's being city driving gas hogs, thinking the're saving money over the long haul these rides provide.

Realize at 15 MPG average city driving - with changing the fuel filter at 15,000 Miles, an Ex has gone through 1,000 gallons of fuel - from a variety of gas stations that have varying fuel storage and qualities. A 200,000 Mile Explorer will have close to 13,333 Miles of gas through the original fuel filter.

A 20 year old original fuel pump (i.e. weak) behind a 20 year old original fuel filter that have pushed/passed 13,000 gallons of fuel will cause all sorts of havoc, especially during an East Coast winter season (freezing cold temps).

In conclusion - The OP wrote that at FIRST he had a "de-carbonizing process" to get his Ex started. Then, soon after, he had to open his gas cap in addition to getting a jump start to get the Ex going. The quick fix solutions are all over the map here... Was it the gas cap opening or the jump start that "fixed" his condition? What was the final solution - Plugs? Fuel Filter? Or???? Will be interesting to see if the OP (one post) comes back and gives us the full circle on his Ex's situation & solution.

I’d guess opening the gas cap had nothing to do with it. I’m guessing it was repeated starting attempts that allowed a failing fuel pump to prime up. Same with a jump. The added voltage over the weak battery (and the higher voltage from a running alternator vs a static battery) might have helped overcome a stuck pump motor.

There’s also a fair chance my fuel filter is stock.

My first experience with FI fuel filters was back in the early 90's. I had a Chevy Blazer 4x4 with the 4.3 V6 I'd bought new. One day I tried to pull out to pass someone and the truck basically fell on it's face. Started fine, idled fine and drove fine, but when I increased the demand for fuel to max @ 60k miles the filter was clogged nearly solid. I didn't do my own maintenance (other than oil changes) back in those days, due to an lack of time and an abundance of money. When I removed the old 1/2 beer can-sized filter and tried to blow through it back-to-front I couldn't get any air through it at all. I don't know how the engine managed to run. I took my compressor and tried blowing through it in the other direction and what came our was truly gross. Learned my lesson. Now I change filters around every 30k.

Back