2001 Ford Explorer sport v8 and manual swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer sport v8 and manual swap

Brenden Williams

Reaction score
City, State
Waterford Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer sport
I want to put a 302 in my explorer and put a manual behind it I don’t know how difficult putting the 302 would be but I’m mostly worried about manual swapping cause stuff like that makes me nervous. I know people have done it before and I just want to know how difficult it will be
Will my stock transfer case work with the manual out of a f-150
Is the 5.0 swap just normal plug and play
Would I have any problems with stuff not working and codes popping up everywhere
Does anyone know where I can get step by step info on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 302 swap has been covered in this forum many times. That info is easily searched.

The F-150 manual does bolt up, and a manual Ecm would help, but swapping in an Explorer 302 with a manual Ecm/ harness is out. There isn't one. You would have to modify the auto harness to work.

Your stock t-case will not work. It's a 5 bolt. You need a 6 bolt with matching spline count. A 4406 t-case will work, and work perfect.

Some people don't like the gearing in the zf manual, so depending on your use, that might matter to you.

Spend some time using the search feature, and you will find all the info your after.

Also you would have to tune the 5.0 PCM to forget about the auto trans functions.........

I am getting ready to build a 02 Sport trac with a 5.0 and 5 speed swap!!!!!!

Back