• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Ranger

Scout3

Reaction score
City, State
Orange Park. Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi All,

Hope you can help me. I am trying to help a friend long distance. He has a 2001 Ford Ranger and at this point it is about all I know. The truck has had the check engine light on since he bought it but it runs pretty good. It recently started flashing the airbag light with a code 46. I read that that is showing a failure in the driver's seat belt and he is going to check the connector under the seat for that. He has had different scanners hooked up and they will not communicate with the PCM. I told him to check the #17 fuse first. He has very little money so any help will be appreciated. I thought I might look around the u pull its around here for a PCM to send to him. What would I have to know to get a PCM that would be plug and play. Any hints to what pins on the PCM to check for power. I have a pretty good background and wish I was there to help troubleshoot these problems. He needs the truck but it will not pass the safety inspection with the flashing airbag light. The computer can wait if necessary. Thanks for any help.

Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The entire PCM code needs to match, it's on the label. I forget the website but there's one that'll check ever yard in the country. When I needed a new computer for my ranger there was only 2. 1 in tennesse and 1 in Washington. Called the tennesse yard and they shipped it to me

Thanks Colintrax,

The vehicle is in another state. My friend bought the truck second hand. The PCM had issues when he bought it. How can I tell if the pcm in it is original or the correct one. Can it be looked up by the VIN number? Thanks. And to everybody sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

Ed

I believe the vehicle VIN is on the label as well. But I'm not sure

What makes you/him think the computer is bad?

Several different scanners have been tried and they all fall to connect. Some others have told him he may need a new PCM. Like I said I am doing long distance trouble shooting. I told him to check the fuses but I think that has already been ruled out. I wanted to find the main power and grounds to the PCM. I think I can walk him through it. If I should find a used PCM, would there be an issue with the keys and the PATS system?

If the engine runs, it is unlikely that the PCM is bad. Better odds are of a wiring problem between the PCM and the diagnostic port. The connection issue may even be connected to the airbag problem.

What is the VIN?

From what I know at this point is that the check engine light has been on and not being able to connect to read the codes has been going on for a long time but the truck has run pretty well. I thought if the computer fails the truck systems would default to preset values but continue to run, Is this not true? It would be nice if the computer is working but a wire is broken at the connecter forr the scanner. The blinking airbag light is a recent problem and must be fixed to pass the states safety inspection. If I had the money I would lend it to him to have it checked out but that is not going to happen. Just trying to help him out if I can.

Sounds more like the power to the OBDII port is out, if no scanner works. Check the fuse for that first. Many scanners won't read airbag codes at all.

Bob,

I got the code for the airbag from the flashing light code. I was going to help him fix the other problems too If I could.

Ed

Back