• Register Today It's free!

2001 Mountaineer won't start

fjm

Reaction score
City, State
Orland Park IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hi all. Long time no problems so haven't been on this site awhile.

I have a 2001 Mountaineer 5L that won't start. Absolutely nothing happens when I turn the key. With the battery hooked up, my dash check engine, battery, check gas gage, and brake lights stay on no matter what I do. The anti-theft light blinks slow and steady, then erratically. Not sure if it's a PATS problem or not. I tried reprogramming both original keys using the 5-turn and 8-turn methods. Each time I disconnected the neg. cable and waited about 15 min. before repeating. Nothing happens with either key fob.

I removed the key cylinder from the column and all lights stayed on, the radio plays, blower works, and so do other bells and buttons.

I have been working thru options As of now I have: 1) a fully charged battery, a new starter relay, a new starter, and a new column ignition switch.

I previously replaced the lock cylinder but didn’t realize I had to reprogram my key. Since it didn't solve the problem I returned it. Now I'm re-thinking the key cylinder as a problem.

I (sort of) enjoy doing this stuff, so I’m looking for more options I can do at home. Any help would be appreciated.

First post in 8 years, has to be close to a record. Believe it or not, it's not all that uncommon here:eek:

Anyway... I am going to move your thread into our Stock 1995 - 2001 subforum where it should get the right folks looking at it.

Have visited the site to see what I could learn from other's woes, and to pick up some knowledge. Been pretty lucky solving my car issues until now. This one may push me (actually tow) to a shop. We'll see.

Back