2001 mountaineer brake pads oil change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 mountaineer brake pads oil change

monkeydude3

Reaction score
City, State
Millbrook, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
hey all~
Going to be putting brake pads on a 2001 mercury mountaineer, V8 AWD all the goodies.

The chrome covers over the lug bolts, will gently prying on those with a screw driver pop them off? And will they just press back in? This is a friend's truck that is MINT, black, etc etc... so I don't want any problems. Also, if there is no air ride on/off switch in the jack compartment in the rear left, that means it has no air ride, correct? And if there is, I need to turn it off while I jack it, ?? Thanks all

George

also, for the rear calipers, those have flexible hoses going to them, correct?

There should be a little notch that is meant to be used to pry off the centercaps. If you're concerned about scratching them, just wrap a flat screwdriver tip with paper towels/shop rags and go at it.

The rears, i do believe, have rubber flexi-lines much like the front.

Good luck.

coolness, thanks for the help. I just loaded up everything in my explorer. The Mountaineer belongs to my girlfriend's mom... when I take my gf home from school tomorrow I'll be ready to rock... Have my jack, stand, socket set, torque wrench... etc... Her mom is paying for my prom ticket for the brake job. Not a bad deal! not to mention her mom always hooks me up with plenty of food.
have a great one

George

Back