2001 rear axle bearings bad again

Opera House

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer 3.5L base
I bought a 2001 Explorer with independent rear suspension about a year ago. I replaced the rear passenger side wheel bearing at that time because of a previous bungled repair. It had been driven so long with a bad bearing the brake disk cut into the brake backing plate and it had to be welded back together. Bearing housing was deeply scored and previous owner had just pressed in a new one causing the bearing to be damaged. I ground out the bearing mount and carefully pressed in a new bearing.

Now 16K later This bearing is bad again causing the wheel to have a lot of play. The other rear wheel has the same problem with play. Don't mind replacing a bearing with 105K on it, but at $170 each don't want to be replacing one at 16K. Anyone else having problems with these bearings? Believe it was properly torqued and it doesn't feel like any of the rollers have cracked.

A woman I work with had this happen with her '02 twice, once under warranty, once out, about 2 years apart. She sold immediately after the second repair, with 98k on the odometer.

Back