Axle Bearing Symptoms

C420sailor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC, 99 EB 5.0L
Rear axle, 319,000mi, 4WD, original diff and bearings.

I’ve got a growl/metal grinding sound while braking at low speed, and also during low speed hard right turns. Not detectable at speed. No CV popping. Front shaft is normal, CV boot intact. Front wheel bearings replaced w/ Timken within last 25,000mi. I replaced the front left bearing 10,000mi sho due to this sound, with no improvement. Front CV axles have 60k. Ball joints and steering are tight. 4HI doesn’t change sound. Tires new within 10,000mi, just rotated.

The sound sorta sounds like it’s coming from the front, but hard to locate.

Jacked all four corners. No play except right rear. Noticeable vertical play in the wheel.

Going to do both rear bearings, but I want to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need to take a look at the axle bearing race suffice on the axle its self
Friction modifier
And good gear oil ... Mine took about 3qt
The tool can be rented if you don't have it
Gonna need Rtv or a gasket for the diff cover

I actually just did the diff fluid last week. I change it on a schedule. Gears and internals look pristine, fluid was still amber. She’s a highway truck, so light duty. No LSD so no modifier, she took 3qts. I use the Ford stuff, price is right.

Looks like I get to do it again...wish I had waited!! 😂

I avoid renting tools. Any excuse to buy more tools is taken in this house...the lady can buy shoes, I get to buy my tools lol

I avoid renting tools. Any excuse to buy more tools is taken in this house...the lady can buy shoes, I get to buy my tools
This is how it is for me to :)

I just stimulated me a drill press and a bench grinder ....tools for life ....
I teach my kids to ask themselves ...if I buy this will I have it in 5 years...

So...I can’t really afford to have the truck out of service while waiting on parts. Since the inner bearing surface is the axle itself, it’s probably worn. Seems like the two options are:

1: buy new axles and standard bearings and seals
2: keep current axles and install SKF ‘repair’ bearings that ride on an unworn part of the axle.

Thoughts?

So...I can’t really afford to have the truck out of service while waiting on parts. Since the inner bearing surface is the axle itself, it’s probably worn. Seems like the two options are:

1: buy new axles and standard bearings and seals
2: keep current axles and install SKF ‘repair’ bearings that ride on an unworn part of the axle.

Thoughts?
My axles were fine at 300k I did not replace them just bearings and seals
Or pull some axles from the jy

I had to put some in my '97 a good while back. Didn't make noise but the play caused the seal to leak, soaking the parking brake and tire.

Back