• Register Today It's free!

2001 SOHC swap to 5.0L.

jeffcrummel

Reaction score
City, State
Lakewood Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
I am reading over the proceedure for cam chain tensioners and realizing this is a big job. I was wondering if anyone has swapped this motor for a 5.0? I am considering this as my wife's has the 5.0 and is a much better motor. How hard is this swap? I will get a donor vehicle to do it so I will have the ECM, harness, t-case, radiator, and transmission. Besides the obvious things what are some of the bumps in the rode others have run into? I am looking for someone who has done this swap, I have done a swap on a 4.6 sohc to dohc using a Ford manual and it was no where near as easy as I thought. I am loooking for information like; Is the Explorer V-8 batch fire and if so can it be converted to Mustangs sequential? My wife's truck does not have a distributor and if I am going to do this swap, I would like to build something a little more robust. What are some cam and heads that you are using and the results? My truck has 4:10s. Who makes a converter that I can call and have custom built? Can I swap out the auto transfer case for one that I can shift into 2 wheel only? Whatever you can share, I want!

My truck is beautiful and that is the only reason I am considering all this work. Plus I live in New York and cannot drive a Mustang all year but would like a year round rod. It is just the drivetrain that is driving me crazy, the noise from the chain and my tranny upshifts early and is reluctant to downshift. Heck any information on hand helds so I can reprogram the thing may make me happy. Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are moving to the Utica area. The town is called Marcy. No one knows where this so I just tell them Utica

help I have a new noise from my engine!

I had the TSB performed concerning the cam chain tensioners. Now after the car sits for 3 days or more, it has this crashing sound when I start the vehicle and it appears to go away once oil is circulating the engine. This is not a rocker or lifter noise and started after I had the repair peformed. Has anyone heard of this or experienced this? I need help quickly!

We are moving to the Utica area. The town is called Marcy. No one knows where this so I just tell them Utica

welcome

Back